Thread: Doubts about my disability

Question Doubts about my disability

Hi, my name is Juan and I'm a 19 years old chilean student and I am paraplegic since I was 2 years old (C7-T1 height). My problem is that, since I have memory, I never concentrated on disability or informed myself how to deal with it in the best way (my mother always made my main concern to be studies), and nowadays I have a lot of dreams and things that I'd like to do but I can't because my disability (or rather my lack of knowledge of how to deal with it) impedes me. For example, I can't transfer from the floor to my wheelchair, or from my wheelchair to the bathtub or the toilet, I can't go to most of places because I don't know how to pass a high step, or what to do if I'm in a place without restrooms for disabled people, or in a friend apartment, and I get tired very fast and I just want to go back to my house. I really would love to go anywhere and anytime and not to think all the time "no, this is impossible because..." or "I can go, but i will need someone to help me and I can't be there more than X hours" or even think that I'm literally nothing if someone steal my wheelchair or if I accidentally fell down from it. So I decided to take a break from college and freeze for a semester in order to improve my skills and be able to face most of the things I mentioned, but I don't know how to start, and I don't know if the work will be worth or not. Could you recommend me some kind of training to do to gain strength in the arms or to know how to make transfers, some channel or some type of web where I can learn about it? Or someone knows if with my disability I'm able to do all the things I mentioned if I work on it, or it just would be a waste of time? I really want to have a life as normal as possible, depending on the least possible things. Thank you.Hi, my name is Juan and I'm a 19 years old chilean student and I am paraplegic since I was 2 years old (C7-T1 height). My problem is that, since I have memory, I never concentrated on disability or informed myself how to deal with it in the best way (my mother always made my main concern to be studies), and nowadays I have a lot of dreams and things that I'd like to do but I can't because my disability (or rather my lack of knowledge of how to deal with it) impedes me. For example, I can't transfer from the floor to my wheelchair, or from my wheelchair to the bathtub or the toilet, I can't go to most of places because I don't know how to pass a high step, or what to do if I'm in a place without restrooms for disabled people, or in a friend apartment, and I get tired very fast and I just want to go back to my house. I really would love to go anywhere and anytime and not to think all the time "no, this is impossible because..." or "I can go, but i will need someone to help me and I can't be there more than X hours" or even think that I'm literally nothing if someone steal my wheelchair or if I accidentally fell down from it. So I decided to take a break from college and freeze for a semester in order to improve my skills and be able to face most of the things I mentioned, but I don't know how to start, and I don't know if the work will be worth or not. Could you recommend me some kind of training to do to gain strength in the arms or to know how to make transfers, some channel or some type of web where I can learn about it? Or someone knows if with my disability I'm able to do all the things I mentioned if I work on it, or it just would be a waste of time? I really want to have a life as normal as possible, depending on the least possible things. Thank you.

Start off by ;earning simple grammar basics first.