Thread: Pip data breach

Pip data breach

Hi so a little background, my name is fran and my stepfather is currently stage 5 poly cystic kidney disease (on home dialysis) and trying to gain pip ( I feel they aren’t the right words but I’m not sure how to put it) regardless for the past 3 attempts they have lost sick notes sent and letters regarding his information and everytime my mum or stepdad ring to complain nothing happens.. I was wondering if this has happened to anybody else or it was just my family? I would be interested in people’s views if you are willing as I am trying to make a case against them so something is done as we are now just going in circles and it is beginning to infuriate me that this can happen with no consequences to actions as if I lost letters regarding personal information I would be fired. It is causing not just my stepfather, but my family a great deal of stress and issues. Writing letters clearly doesn’t get there we have found as they send letters saying they haven’t received anything. If this post is not allowed I apologise and I will delete

Hi Fran,

You do seem quite confused about the process of claimimg benefits. (You're not the only one, they don't make things easy).

Is this PIP or ESA (or Universal Credit) that your stepfather is trying to claim, or maybe he has claims in for both?
    I ask because of the fit notes (sicknotes) that you mention, you don't need them for PIP but you do for ESA (and UC).

If it is for ESA then you can send fit notes online, so they won't get lost in the post:
    https://www.gov.uk/send-fit-note
    If it's for UC then you have to take fit notes to the jobcente, you can't post or email them.

As he doesn't seem to be getting anywhere with the DWP then your best step is to get help from a local benefits adviser who can see any letters you have and sort out what is happening.

You can find free local advice organisations by putting your postcode into here: https://advicelocal.uk/find-an-adviser
    Last edited by nukecad; 29-11-19 at 07:30.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you for your reply, I understand I am probably confused between the process as I’ve never had to claim and they are trying to I think he has been trying to claim both and neither seem to be going anywhere they just close the accounts for universal credit at least, I’m not sure for pip I don’t think they’ve heard anything and I have looked up that for pip you may need evidence so maybe it was a letter from the doctor? Either way no one is helping them they have tried everything and surely they shouldn’t be “loosing” letters with personal information on them even if they complain no one seems to care

Welcome to the world of benefits and dealing with the DWP.

It's not as rosey as the government would like to have you think.

So it is UC as well as PIP, which makes sense.
    Without more details it's impossible to see just what is going on, which is why you should get help from local adviser who can see any letters that you have.

One thing to note about UC is that when you make a claim you have to go down to the Jobcentre and prove your identity, if you don't then they will close your application.
    That may be what's happening with your stepfather?
    https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-to-claim

With PIP they should send you an application form to fill in, once you have done that and sent it back they will then make an appointment for an assessment.
    Sending other letters/evidence on it's own will just confuse them. They won't know what it's for and so it will just get 'lost'.
    https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim
    Last edited by nukecad; 29-11-19 at 17:22.

so I’ve found out with pip that the DWP or whoever is behind the benefits have lost the form that was sent back to them with evidence which they asked for and UC they have been to the job centre each time and gone the correct way about it but conveniently the people who are behind these benefits or whatever have lost paperwork regarding the situation and again they have gone to get advice and all sorts and they still aren’t getting anywhere So please stop suggesting They go to a benefits advisor because they have filled in form after form and provided the relevant evidence to support their claims and sent it off to the correct addresses as I’ve witnessed on several occasions my mother post them herself my mum and stepfather have now also got a relevant kidney charity involved to put in a complaint as no one is listening or taking them seriously

The next step would be to get your MP's office involved.

Let them know what has happened and they will give the DWP a poke which usually works.
    Of course your MP may not be your MP in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime most MPs offices are still functioning to help people.

Ok thank you for your suggestion I’ll will pass it on and hopefully something will happen

hello hope someone can help me make sense of this been for my pip assessment my appointment was in the afternoon and my daughter had helped me to shower and wash my hair and get ready for appointment i have been refused due to me being assessors word well kempt i had false nails on but i dont use false nails they were my own nails i drive an automatic car as i have problems with left side of pelvis and she said i hold a driving licence which needs upper body and i dont have problems with this does anyone know what i should do