Thread: Stressed with ESA

Mysticdude

Stressed with ESA

Hey all, just a question or 2 about ESA...... I'll try not to rant on but this has caused serious stress, in fact the whole situation has put me on the verge of a breakdown and caused endless stress on family members I live with who are already really ill.

Start of September Had accident at home, taken to my local hospital, said I needed to be operated on in hosp out of town. The injury was concerning my left arm. Damaged tendons.

The 1st visit to out of town hosp (when they were supposed to operate), they ignored my hospitals diagnosis and put it down to something minor. They then delayed the op twice.

I gathered it was something minor from what they told me so I applied for a job (agency work), got it and was due to start 2 days after the op was done.

When the op was finally done, 2 weeks after the accident, the out of town hospital realised my hospitals diagnosis was in fact correct. It was damaged tendons (which was serious). I had my arm in a cast and it was permanently in an elevated position. I could not move arm and could not do much with my other arm due to the cast being linked up to my right shoulder. I was given someone else's doctors notes to hand to my GP instead of my own. I had to of course cancel my agency work because I was unable to work, they took me off their list.

At that point I had no idea what I could claim. A month later (middle of October) I went for physio and the cast was taken off. They told me I could start lifting again after a few weeks.

By then I had done some research and found I could be entitled to ESA backdated. I had complaints to make to the hospitals PALS so I put the complaints in and asked them about giving me a medical certificate for the time I was in their care so I could claim ESA.

They said they were investigating and would sort it. They said things would be resolved by the middle of November.

When the middle of November came they told me there had been delays and it will take longer to resolve. I waited a few more weeks until the start of December and still had no result. I knew then I had to apply for ESA over the phone, or I would not get backdated pay.

It was such a stupid process, they read questions off a form. There was nowhere for me to say i'm perfectly fine now.

I have had so many letters off them which was stupid also. Asking if I can pick up a £1 coin, If I can walk up 2 steps or walk 50 meters, of course I can do all those things and probably could when I had my injury and was recovering. The main reason I was not fit for work was because my whole arm was in cast and hooked up to my right shoulder, and I was told that if I work or do any movement, I could undo the operation and lose the use of my fingers permanently.

Another letter was demanding I go for a medical assessment some time in the new year. Completely pointless because I am fully recovered and only wanted backdated pay.

I also had 1 letter wanting medical certificates... If im thinking correctly the hospital should be able to issue me with 1 for the time I was in their care and recovering.... but alas PALS are looking into that and taking ages (sent them no less than 30 emails).

I hate going to my own GP at the best of times and I feel I just cant be bothered to go there, be told I should of gone sooner and have to explain my entire situation over again (Iv explained the entire thing to about 10 different people and departments).

Don't know what else I can do really, any suggestions?

Thanks

doberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticdude View Post
    Hey all, just a question or 2 about ESA...... I'll try not to rant on but this has caused serious stress, in fact the whole situation has put me on the verge of a breakdown and caused endless stress on family members I live with who are already really ill.

Start of September Had accident at home, taken to my local hospital, said I needed to be operated on in hosp out of town. The injury was concerning my left arm. Damaged tendons.

The 1st visit to out of town hosp (when they were supposed to operate), they ignored my hospitals diagnosis and put it down to something minor. They then delayed the op twice.

I gathered it was something minor from what they told me so I applied for a job (agency work), got it and was due to start 2 days after the op was done.

When the op was finally done, 2 weeks after the accident, the out of town hospital realised my hospitals diagnosis was in fact correct. It was damaged tendons (which was serious). I had my arm in a cast and it was permanently in an elevated position. I could not move arm and could not do much with my other arm due to the cast being linked up to my right shoulder. I was given someone else's doctors notes to hand to my GP instead of my own. I had to of course cancel my agency work because I was unable to work, they took me off their list.

At that point I had no idea what I could claim. A month later (middle of October) I went for physio and the cast was taken off. They told me I could start lifting again after a few weeks.

By then I had done some research and found I could be entitled to ESA backdated. I had complaints to make to the hospitals PALS so I put the complaints in and asked them about giving me a medical certificate for the time I was in their care so I could claim ESA.

They said they were investigating and would sort it. They said things would be resolved by the middle of November.

When the middle of November came they told me there had been delays and it will take longer to resolve. I waited a few more weeks until the start of December and still had no result. I knew then I had to apply for ESA over the phone, or I would not get backdated pay.

It was such a stupid process, they read questions off a form. There was nowhere for me to say i'm perfectly fine now.

I have had so many letters off them which was stupid also. Asking if I can pick up a £1 coin, If I can walk up 2 steps or walk 50 meters, of course I can do all those things and probably could when I had my injury and was recovering. The main reason I was not fit for work was because my whole arm was in cast and hooked up to my right shoulder, and I was told that if I work or do any movement, I could undo the operation and lose the use of my fingers permanently.

Another letter was demanding I go for a medical assessment some time in the new year. Completely pointless because I am fully recovered and only wanted backdated pay.

I also had 1 letter wanting medical certificates... If im thinking correctly the hospital should be able to issue me with 1 for the time I was in their care and recovering.... but alas PALS are looking into that and taking ages (sent them no less than 30 emails).

I hate going to my own GP at the best of times and I feel I just cant be bothered to go there, be told I should of gone sooner and have to explain my entire situation over again (Iv explained the entire thing to about 10 different people and departments).

Don't know what else I can do really, any suggestions?

Thanks
    In a word - without a valid 'sick note' no claim can be made.

I'm not sure what research you did and you may well know something I don't but as far as I am aware you can only get back dated money to when you put in a claim for ESA.
    Whilst I appreciate you have been messed around by the NHS,it is the responsibility of an individual to make the decision that they are unfit for work and unable to cope financially from the initial moment that was an issue.

Mysticdude
    Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    I'm not sure what research you did and you may well know something I don't but as far as I am aware you can only get back dated money to when you put in a claim for ESA.
    Whilst I appreciate you have been messed around by the NHS,it is the responsibility of an individual to make the decision that they are unfit for work and unable to cope financially from the initial moment that was an issue.
    Thanks for replys .

Yea the claim has been put in, at the start of this month, main thing was because I knew the max backdated 3 month period was approaching, as long as they had the claim on paper I thought they could backdate it (would of needed it from the start of september until around the end of October).

As far as I knew, the out of town hospital was correct in putting it down to something minor, so as far as I was concerned I would of started my agency job right after the OP (at the end of september) and would be earning money now. It was only after I realised they made the mistake in ignoring my hospitals diagnosis that it was a serious problem that I would be unable to work for a while.

I looked at the ESA application form right away and saw I needed the name of a DR who would sign my medical certificates. As I did not have a dr to do that (wasnt given names of dr's at hospital out of town, and because I didnt have my correct GP's notes I didnt think my GP would know what was wrong) I asked a family members carer about the best option. They told me to get onto the hospitals PALS. I also went to the jobcentre who said the same thing and was going to check at citizens advice (but the office was shut down for good a while back).

That was when I put my complaint and request for medical certificates to the hospital out of town's PALS, after delays and no replys. I emailed my local PALS with the same questions, who said they couldnt investigate as its already being investigated, but that was when they told me I could put the claim in on the phone and send off medical certs after

doberg
    For any claim for ESA to succeed, you will need sick notes to cover the entire period including any backdated claim.

I would suggest that you make sure that you gather the sick notes from when you want the money from until when it should stop.

Mysticdude
    Quote Originally Posted by doberg View Post
    For any claim for ESA to succeed, you will need sick notes to cover the entire period including any backdated claim.

I would suggest that you make sure that you gather the sick notes from when you want the money from until when it should stop.

Thanks, how long would I have to hand these in?

I have asked the hospital many times if they could send me sick notes for the time I was under their care. They should be under obligation to do that? All they have told me each time I call or email is that someone is sorting it with the complaint investigation. Even when I say its urgent they just say they have informed the people investigating.

My GP is pretty my unable to do anything at current. They have the notes on my file from my local hospital. However the notes basically say I was referred for operation the week of the injury and would only sign me off for that week and a few weeks after.

Whilst the actual thing that happened (hospital out of town delayed by 2 weeks thinking my injury was nothing, meant op was more complex when they operated and found it to be as serious as my hospital said, thus recovery time was longer) is in the out of town hospital's GP notes they should of given me to hand to my GP, but instead I was given someone else's.

I dont know how long ESA department will wait for my sick notes, but phoning them is useless because they dont consider peoples situations and just read off a sheet of paper