Thread: Can ESA be stopped during re-assessment phase?

Can ESA be stopped during re-assessment phase?

Hi
    Just a quick question. Can ESA be stopped while you are in re-assessment phase? I have my form, (or should I say autobiography) to fill in. I am in the process of completing it now. I am just concerned that my ESA could be stopped while the process is going on. Can anyone advise please?
    Thanks

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    Hi
    Just a quick question. Can ESA be stopped while you are in re-assessment phase? I have my form, (or should I say autobiography) to fill in. I am in the process of completing it now. I am just concerned that my ESA could be stopped while the process is going on. Can anyone advise please?
    Thanks
    If your on esa cb and your 365 days run out yes if in work group it would stop if on review you got in support group payment would start again....if only in work group no payment would start but your ni stamp would be paid

I am on CB support group. I am just worried they will stop the payment during re-assessment phase without telling me. I have heard this happening to others, who have then got into all sorts of problems because of direct debits etc.

doberg
    I am on CB support group. I am just worried they will stop the payment during re-assessment phase without telling me. I have heard this happening to others, who have then got into all sorts of problems because of direct debits etc.
    You will have been given a date when your SG award was valid until. Normally re-assessments take place and a decision is made well in advance of this date so no there would be no change to the existing award - the new award will take over on the appointed date.

If however it takes months for a decision to be made your old award will cease on the date you were given and any new award will be backdated when it is given - so yes if there are delays in the DWP making a decision you could find that your benefit is stopped for a time.

Am I right in thinking that you are hoping that the original award would continue until the new award is made no matter how long it takes?

As an example say your SG award finishes on the 1st January 2013, but you new award decision isn't made until the 1st March 2013 - for those two months you don't have any award in place - one has finished on the original appointed date and a new one is made later.

I was originally under the impression that the old award would continue until a new award is made, but that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment. The DWP simply are saying that ESA awards are time limited. A similar case hit my desk a few weeks ago and the DWP would not move on it - they argued that as it was time limited a new award would have to be made before any benefit could start again. In that case there was a gap of 11 weeks with no money.
    Last edited by doberg; 17-12-12 at 09:00.

Thanks for the reply. I can only find my original award letter, which only goes up to April 2012. I cannot recall getting another letter after that. So I don't know how long the award was for. It could be a year from April or a year from March when the award was made. Or it could be something else. I am going to ask my partner to have a look through the file box etc and see if he can find any other letters.

Hi
    Thanks
    I gave a reply to your question on your other post.
    I'm a little confused or maybe missing something here as you are not being re-assessed at this moment in time, you have just been sent a form to fill in and it appears the question is why have you been sent this form.

There is no end date to an award it stops when youve been reassessed and then dont meet limited capability for work the only date you get is a reassessement date not end date I think what has happened to some is they have been reassessed and found fit for work and dwp have stopped money before informing person of the decision the only end date is the 365 days CB wrag and money stops but the award is still valid until reassessement

doberg
    Quote Originally Posted by slipmaster View Post
    There is no end date to an award it stops when youve been reassessed and then dont meet limited capability for work the only date you get is a reassessement date not end date I think what has happened to some is they have been reassessed and found fit for work and dwp have stopped money before informing person of the decision the only end date is the 365 days CB wrag and money stops but the award is still valid until reassessement
    So are you saying that no matter how long it takes for the DWP to make a new decision, you will continue to receive monies based on the old award even though, in my case, the 3 years were up in September this year?
    I only mention this as my 3 year award ended in September and from then onwards nothing more was received. I had my re-assessment decision in November - 2 months late - it should have been September. I have had no money since September as that was the 3rd anniversary of my award date.

yes i am did ib payments stop when reassessement dates came up no not until after pca if you failed and most were after the date not on it how could they be all dwp state is reassess xmonth xyear or in 18months so lets say april is it april 1st or april30th or somewhere in between same applys to esa (benefit will continue while ever you meet criteria or report a change or get reassessed) i havent seen anything to the contrary other than cb wrag 365 days I stand to be corrected if thats not right, show me where it says not