Thread: PIP criteria and 'therapy'?

PIP criteria and 'therapy'?

Hi to all, I have been reading the latest upto date information regarding intro of PIP, dates etc. However, 1 part that I find could do with expalining further is, and even examples of being given is the following:

“therapy” means therapy to be undertaken at home which is prescribed or recommended by a—

(a) registered–

(i) doctor;
    (ii) nurse; or
    (iii) pharmacist; or
    (b) health professional regulated by the Health Professions Council;

What exactly is the medical meaning of therapy, in the abvoe terms, and is anybody able to give extreme examples as to what could be described as therapy or therapeutic?

Confused!

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer69 View Post
    Hi to all, I have been reading the latest upto date information regarding intro of PIP, dates etc. However, 1 part that I find could do with expalining further is, and even examples of being given is the following:

“therapy” means therapy to be undertaken at home which is prescribed or recommended by a—

(a) registered–

(i) doctor;
    (ii) nurse; or
    (iii) pharmacist; or

What exactly is the medical meaning of therapy, in the abvoe terms, and is anybody able to give extreme examples as to what could be described as therapy or therapeutic?

Confused!
    the second draft regs say

“manage medication or therapy” means take medication or undertake therapy, where a failure to do so is likely to result in a deterioration in the claimant’s health;

“medication” means medication prescribed or recommended by a registered doctor, nurse or pharmacist;
    “monitor health” means –
    (a) detect significant changes in the claimant’s health condition; and
    (b) take action advised by a healthcare professional,
    without which the claimant’s health is likely to deteriorate;

Thanks Dave...maybe I should have been clearer...I am asking regarding the specific wording of Activity 3 part of criteria. Medication is only mentioned at B and worth 1 point, whereas thereafter the word medication is no longer mentioned and only therapy is part of criteria between criteria points C & F, therapy which takes between 3.5 hours...upto more than 14 hours.

It is this definition of therapy that I was asking about? Again, as far as medication is concerned, what is classed as medication? Where does the difference between medication and therapy change?

davewhit
    Thanks Dave...maybe I should have been clearer...I am asking regarding the specific wording of Activity 3 part of criteria. Medication is only mentioned at B and worth 1 point, whereas thereafter the word medication is no longer mentioned and only therapy is part of criteria between criteria points C & F, therapy which takes between 3.5 hours...upto more than 14 hours.

It is this definition of therapy that I was asking about? Again, as far as medication is concerned, what is classed as medication? Where does the difference between medication and therapy change?
    IMO it ties in with checking blood sugar different types of feeding tubes oxygen......... turning to stop bed sores

doberg
    Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    IMO it ties in with checking blood sugar different types of feeding tubes oxygen......... turning to stop bed sores
    Blood sugar levels??? OK I would agree if it was a young child involved, but not an adult! I never even indicated on my DLA or ESA reviews that I was even a Type 1 insulin dependent diabetic as it isn't classed as a disability as such, just something that you adapt your life to.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by doberg View Post
    Blood sugar levels??? OK I would agree if it was a young child involved, but not an adult! I never even indicated on my DLA or ESA reviews that I was even a Type 1 insulin dependent diabetic as it isn't classed as a disability as such, just something that you adapt your life to.
    its documented that blind people.......people with learning problems..........stroke suffers need help with blood sugar levels details can be found on rnib or stroke ass web sites

also people who are blind need help with all sorts of tests inr blood pressure too come to mind

vikstar
    Quote Originally Posted by doberg View Post
    Type 1 Diabetic sufferers do indeed fulfil the definition of a "Disabled Person" under EA 2010, https://www.gov.uk/definition-of-dis...ality-act-2010. With regards to this, there is something called "Deduced Effect", in that when consideration is being given as to whether someone does fulfil the above mentioned "Definition of a Disabled Person" under EA2010, their condition must be considered as how they would be without the use of any aids, therapy or medication. The first hurdle in persuing any litigation regarding disability discrimination, or failure to provide reasonable adjustments, is to prove that you fulfil this "Definition"

This could prove to be useful with the new ESA WRAG Works Placements and sanctions.
    Last edited by vikstar; 15-12-12 at 21:44.

(a) registered–

(i) doctor;
    (ii) nurse; or
    (iii) pharmacist; or

Confused!
    my two pence worth i will be trying to use the fact that i have cervical spondy neck and shoulders my physio and pain clinic has me exercising at home 30 mins every day = hoping this gets me couple points