Thread: moved home council dont know how to handle them.

moved home council dont know how to handle them.

Hello.

We had been on the council waiting list.they finally admitted the chances of them getting a house for us
    would be almost zero within the next 3 years.To be honest far from being angry Im glad they were honest.
    We found a private rented house (very long term) its perfect

My brother and myself both suffer from the same Genetic illness so we live in the same house etc
    both on DLA/SDA

the rent on this house is 495.PCM when we saw the council forms it looks like theres a shortfall of 38.00 a month
    when I tried to speak to them they mentioned a 13th payment and assured me the rent was being paid in full (even though we have to add that per month) owing to the nature of my illness its started to affect my speech quite badly
    so as the conversation was ending the lady from the council basically said I should get someone to act on my behalf because I had made myself look silly not understanding the 13th payment.I wont lie its upset me greatly

Then today in the post I got a council tax demand for 167.00 again It was this same lady on the phone and basically told
    me to stop phoning everytime something came in the mail "ignore everything until all the forms are processed".
    My old social worker was amazing she handled so much.I dont know whats changed the new one as soon as you mention anything benefit/council tax related totally switches off and rattles off helpline numbers to phone.

basically I was just wondering does this 13 payment sound correct please? and does that sound correct about ignoring various demands etc.im very confused at the moment.

13 payment i am confused unless you are paying your rent 4 weekly opposed to per calendar month . Housing benefit from what i understand is paid 4 weekly therefore you will get 13 payments in a year . Like DLA 1 month a year you get 2 payments in the same calendar month as it is paid 4 weekly opposed to Calendar monthly

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    13 payment i am confused unless you are paying your rent 4 weekly opposed to per calendar month . Housing benefit from what i understand is paid 4 weekly therefore you will get 13 payments in a year . Like DLA 1 month a year you get 2 payments in the same calendar month as it is paid 4 weekly opposed to Calendar monthly
    Yes she kept saying about 4 weekly not Calendar month I just didnt grasp what she was trying to say at all.
    thank you so much for laying it out like that

Glad things are a little clearer for you now, oathy. Whilst your landlord expects the rent each calender month perhaps they'd be understanding enough of your circumstances to accept the rent each four weeks instead? (This used to be called, and I assume still is, a 'lunar month').

Quote Originally Posted by oathy View Post
    Hello.

My brother and myself both suffer from the same Genetic illness so we live in the same house etc
    both on DLA/SDA
    You both get income support to top up the SDA I assume? Do you both get DLA care middle rate as well?

Quote Originally Posted by RaeUK View Post
    Glad things are a little clearer for you now, oathy. Whilst your landlord expects the rent each calender month perhaps they'd be understanding enough of your circumstances to accept the rent each four weeks instead? (This used to be called, and I assume still is, a 'lunar month').
    Thats what i come on here for if i can help just 1 person i will have achieved something .Unlike Camerons fake call to arms etc .

We ( the disabled ) really are all in it together and as long as we help each other when and where we can it will make a difficult life just a little bit more easy to live with . As long as we remain a team and keep this D-day mentality many of us seam to have adopted we just may make it through these miserable years of the Cameron/Osborne administration

Hi oathy.
    Another possibility is that your private landlord may want 1 months rent in advance in lieu of the 28 days notice you would be asked to provide in the event of you leaving the property.
    Council Tax is completely different and is payable to the Council and is calculated differently dependent where you stay.
    I would suggest using your Social Worker to obtain the answers for you.

Best of luck.

Hi oathy
    I think you have now grasped the 13 payment bit so thats OK
    as far as the council tax is concerned, when you move house they for some reason send a bill, but dont worry when all your new paperwork with them is sorted you will get a letter of credit. HTH
    Dave

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by daveo View Post
    Hi oathy
    I think you have now grasped the 13 payment bit so thats OK
    as far as the council tax is concerned, when you move house they for some reason send a bill, but dont worry when all your new paperwork with them is sorted you will get a letter of credit. HTH
    Dave
    having grasped the 13 payment system its going to stop as UC will be monthly :-)