Thread: Forced labour for ESA WRAG

Forced labour for ESA WRAG

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but just got an email from B&W withy a link to what hoops those in WRAG will have to jump through to keep their benefit .

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/newsroom/press...wp131-12.shtml

Your thoughts please

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Don't know if this has been mentioned before but just got an email from B&W withy a link to what hoops those in WRAG will have to jump through to keep their benefit .

Your thoughts please
    if medicals where done as they should be then in theory ? good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post

Your thoughts please
    Thanks for the link.

I am not surprised at all. Funnily enough I had my second WRAG meeting last week, ESA advisor did mentioned a bit about the "Voluntary Work". Only few hours a week, in the near future. They want me to go on a Confidence and Low Self-Esteem Course in January. (It's once a week for 6 weeks) But I don't think I've got the courage to go, It will be with a group of strangers, I am dreading it.

In theory sounds like a mighty fine idea, but many theoretical ideas do sound good or plausible when read. In practice it may prove to be a disaster, will need to wait and see. The DWP don't ussually put in enough resources, and the quality of the private staff on the Work Programmes don't seem to fit the work thye're supposed to do.

Sometimes people do neeed a little nudge or bit of encouragement to engage and get back into the world and become self sufficient and independent again. Too many people now rely on the goverment to take care of every eventuality in life for them indefinitely , and this isn't what the welfare system was originally designed to be doing.

But it's not much use if it's simply so that private employees of Ingeous or whatever can claim enhanced bonuses for getting someone from WRAG back into work in totally unsuitable circumstances.

This has been talked about prior to it's introduction and the bottom line to this is "sanctions".
    If you have been not only wrongly placed in WRAG, now you will be forced to do work regardless of your health problems or have your benefit cut.
    As you say stig, this will be forced labour for many or a loss of benefit. Who is going to decide what is suitable or appropriate work for the claimant, JC+ advisors or private contractors? and what are "community" based placements?
    For those rightly placed in WRAG and who feel that they could do some form of work it may be a good idea but IMHO I don't think that this is the purpose of this, because the emphasis is on sanctions.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    For those rightly placed in WRAG and who feel that they could do some form of work it may be a good idea but IMHO I don't think that this is the purpose of this, because the emphasis is on sanctions.
    problem nobody ever thinks they should be in the work group everyone says they should be in the support group ( Me too) I am luccky in my case if when they move me I dont get support group i will just not claim sod them ! I get most my IB withheld any way due to overlap and pensions

Totally agree with wobble on this

I would have no problem with the sanctions BUT as my JCA+ adviser knows - (My WFI's have been stopped for the time being - he said I did not have to attend for now) - I am not fit to work, due to the nature of my condition - so surely it stands to reason, I would not be in any fit state to do work experience. As well as living on morphine based pain relief to get through the day (which makes me dizzy/sleepy), I would not only be a danger to myself but others around me in a work environment. I doubt there are many jobs, where you would be permitted to lie down and sleep due to severe pain and/or deal with the effects of medications. I asked my JCA+ about this 'forced labour' and he said every case is different, so he could not advise, but suffice to say I would not be forced into anything I was not capable of doing (so far, I have not been, touch wood). But his words were possibly spin to fob me off. (I was placed in WRAG - but did not know I could have appealed this at the time).

doberg
    Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    As you say stig, this will be forced labour for many or a loss of benefit. Who is going to decide what is suitable or appropriate work for the claimant, JC+ advisors or private contractors? and what are "community" based placements?
    It is 'forced' labour. As I have mentioned before, I am aware of one person that I know that is having to work on a voluntary basis a full week (35+ hours) working for the local authority, litter picking, dog mess removal, and generally keeping the roads and parks clean.

Another I know is having a similar problem in that the 'voluntary work' started as a few hours a week in a charity shop. This was then increased over a period to anything up to 40 hours a week. The poor guy is going downhill fast with it but when he complained he was simply told to get on with it - you are managing the hours so why are you complaining.

Both of these are with the same work provider, the former works with JSA claimants and those on 'Community Service' as a punishment for criminal activities.

Both are ESA claimants and are in the 'work group' and have been for over 12 months.

Those two cases are one of the reasons why I am not appealing against being thrown off ESA after being the Support Group for the past 3 years. I have my first interview with the JC next week as I claimed JSA instead and handed tham a copy of the decision notice when I went in to make the initial claim, that I am now fully fit for work. Whether I am is another matter. but that is for them to sort out between them
    Last edited by doberg; 13-12-12 at 19:55.

What next labour camps where those claiming JSA & those in WRAG have to report every other month or even every week to make things just to keep their benefit and food on the table for their partner and kids . The work houses were abolished many many years ago . However we are all in it together and the big society are taking us back to the Dickensian era .

Meanwhile criminals sit in HMP holiday camps playing on play stations no bills to worry about 3 meals a day etc etc . Gone are the days of " "breaking rocks in the hot sun "
    Unless you are claiming JSA or a WRAG member

Rant over i can be friendly again now
    Last edited by Stig; 13-12-12 at 23:17.