Thread: Pip planning and following a journey

Pip planning and following a journey

I have just been looking through the descriptors for the mobility part of the new PIP and one question does not seem to make much sense.

It says
    A can plan and follow a journey 0 points
    B needs prompting for ALL journeys to avoid overwhelming psychological distress 4 points
    C needs either supervision, prompting or a support dog to follow a journey to a unfamiliar destination or a journey to a unfamiliar destination to have been entirely planned by another person. 8 points
    D can not follow any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress. 10 points
    E needs either supervision, prompting or a support dog to follow a journey to a familiar destination or a journey to a familiar destination to have been entirely planned by another person. 15 points

If you need prompting for ALL journeys familiar or unfamiliar you only get 4 points but if you only need prompting for a unfamiliar journey you get 8 points and for prompting for a familiar journey you get a whopping 15 points

Should it not be you get 15 points for needing prompting for ALL journeys???

According to them prompting means support provided by reminding or encouraging a individual to undertake or complete a task but not physically helping them, to apply this only needs to be required for part of the activity.

It also says 'needs prompting for ALL journeys to avoid overwhelming psychological distress 4 points' for example may apply to individuals who are only able to leave the home when accompanied by another person.

I really dont get it at all as B, C and E apply to me and D could too

I can not leave the house due to agoraphobia unless someone i trust goes with me and that does not matter if it is a familiar or unfamiliar destination so B would apply to me but they do not remind me or encourage me, they support me and according to their example B may apply to people who can not leave their home unless someone is with them.
    B does not say anything about planning a journey.

According to them 'unfamiliar' means using public transport which i can not use on my own, this is under C and also includes that the journey was planned by another person, in my case it would of been as i can not ask for bus/train tickets due to social phobia.

D says cannot follow any journey due to overwhelming distress but it does not say if you are alone or with someone, if it is alone this would apply to me.

E says familiar destination or that the journey was planned by someone else and again this would apply to me as i would need someone with me.

What destinations are they talking about? what distance? and what do they mean by planning?
    Does anyone else understand any of this please ???

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by sara1975 View Post
    I have just been looking through the descriptors for the mobility part of the new PIP and one question does not seem to make much sense.

It says
    A can plan and follow a journey 0 points
    B needs prompting for ALL journeys to avoid overwhelming psychological distress 4 points
    C needs either supervision, prompting or a support dog to follow a journey to a unfamiliar destination or a journey to a unfamiliar destination to have been entirely planned by another person. 8 points
    D can not follow any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress. 10 points
    E needs either supervision, prompting or a support dog to follow a journey to a familiar destination or a journey to a familiar destination to have been entirely planned by another person. 15 points

If you need prompting for ALL journeys familiar or unfamiliar you only get 4 points but if you only need prompting for a unfamiliar journey you get 8 points and for prompting for a familiar journey you get a whopping 15 points

Should it not be you get 15 points for needing prompting for ALL journeys???

According to them prompting means support provided by reminding or encouraging a individual to undertake or complete a task but not physically helping them, to apply this only needs to be required for part of the activity.

It also says 'needs prompting for ALL journeys to avoid overwhelming psychological distress 4 points' for example may apply to individuals who are only able to leave the home when accompanied by another person.

I really dont get it at all as B, C and E apply to me and D could too

I can not leave the house due to agoraphobia unless someone i trust goes with me and that does not matter if it is a familiar or unfamiliar destination so B would apply to me but they do not remind me or encourage me, they support me and according to their example B may apply to people who can not leave their home unless someone is with them.
    B does not say anything about planning a journey.

According to them 'unfamiliar' means using public transport which i can not use on my own, this is under C and also includes that the journey was planned by another person, in my case it would of been as i can not ask for bus/train tickets due to social phobia.

D says cannot follow any journey due to overwhelming distress but it does not say if you are alone or with someone, if it is alone this would apply to me.

E says familiar destination or that the journey was planned by someone else and again this would apply to me as i would need someone with me.

What destinations are they talking about? what distance? and what do they mean by planning?
    Does anyone else understand any of this please ???
    the regulations are draft and not law yet, its designed to make sure everyone gets low points :-)

based on having read the draft regs IMO your a "b" you should be able to plan but need support all the time

me? no different i get c or e god knows what award i will get at present higher mob middle care

defintion of 'to prompt' to incite, to spur, to assist with a reminder. Not exactly clear but could it possibley mean

B. someone has to remind or plan , work out a journey or remind them theye've to go somehwhere like an appointment , but the rest mean they can't do it on their own without being supervised or without a support dog?.

doberg
    For a start from what I understand, this section refers to those that are blind and/or have under developed or arrested brain activity.

I fit E, yet I am a well educated and professionally qualified individual. However amongst the many many problems I have is early onset/moderate Dementia. To get round that problem I have a hand held, 5" screen Satnav, that has all of the destinations I am likely to use logged into it by my wife. If there are 'new' destinations, my wife would set them up for me also.

So whilst I may 'technically' be able to claim E, with aids and adaptions I am well able to manage on all journeys.
    The DWP will always look to see if there are aids and adaptions that would resolve the problem.

It would be a different kettle of fish if I lived on my own and had no one to help me - then E would apply.