Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabled at Remploy are now Unemployed

Disabled at Remploy are now Unemployed

Remploy Glasgow factory to close(One of Many)

Disabled workers Remploy employs 46 people at its Springburn site

Remploy, the firm which provides employment opportunities for disabled people, is to close its Glasgow factory with the loss of 46 jobs.

The company had been negotiating a possible sale of the Springburn site, but said it had been unable to agree a deal with the preferred bidder.

The GMB union said it was "disgusted and horrified" by the closure.

Dozens of Remploy factories are closing under UK government plans to switch spending to help individual workers.

In a statement, Remploy said the Springburn site had been earmarked for closure in March after being assessed as "not being commercially viable".

No sale

The firm said: "As part of its efforts to avoid compulsory redundancies Remploy sought bids for the Springburn factory as part of the Healthcare business.

Staff here feel extremely angry. We've been deserted by government and betrayed by the company”

Phil Brannon GMB union official

"On 18 September Remploy announced that it was in talks with R Link Ltd and we had hoped that as a result of this the factory would remain open and that there would be continuing employment for people on this site.

"R Link has now informed us that despite best efforts by them and Remploy, it has not been possible to agree a sale of the Springburn business."

The statement said that "as there were no other viable bidders", the Springburn site would now be closed and all staff "remain at risk of redundancy".

Remploy said it had been advised by R Link that it was in discussions with Haven Social Enterprise about future despatch work of wheelchairs.

Remploy said it would now enter into individual consultation with staff at Springburn.

Phil Brannon, GMB union official at the Springburn site, said the closure decision was "a disgrace".

"We were told about this earlier and are absolutely disgusted and horrified," he said.

"The whole process has been an absolute disgrace from the beginning.

"Staff here feel extremely angry. We've been deserted by government and betrayed by the company."

Mr Brannon also questioned why wheelchair assembly and dispatch work at Springburn may be "outsourced" to Haven.

He added: "That work could have been done by staff here. It might have saved some jobs."

It is an absolute disgrace what they are doing to Remploy. They have been going for years providing employment for people who would probably never get the opportunity to be employed. What I don't understand is the WHY? Remploy generate an income so it's not as if it is a great financial drain on Govt spending and therein cutting it will save millions. Bizarre and indicative of this Govt cock eyed logic.

The Why is simple. this (Tory) gov't of ConDem's are bullies & like all bullies they only pick on the weak and defenseless

They're being closed because all of us sick note disabled punters are now integrated into the mainstream world of work and of course , unemployment, where there is no longer any disability discrimination. There is a level playing field in the world of work .We are all treated the exact same. The non-disabled unemployed get a kicking we get a kicking too. It's the New Tory and the New Labour way.
    Discuss without swearing.

Remploy was a subsidised employer of disabled people in a segregated work environment. The able bodied fat cats were making a mint running these businesses at a massive loss. That's why nobody stepped in to save them. I think each disabled person's job there cost the Government about £13,000 a year on top of their wage. It was a luxury the Government couldn't justify for the privileged few.

Strange as it may seem I don't agree with segregation or ghettos of disabled staff. The money saved here is best put towards supporting disabled people in regular workplaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Remploy was a subsidised employer of disabled people in a segregated work environment. The able bodied fat cats were making a mint running these businesses at a massive loss. That's why nobody stepped in to save them. I think each disabled person's job there cost the Government about £13,000 a year on top of their wage. It was a luxury the Government couldn't justify for the privileged few.

Strange as it may seem I don't agree with segregation or ghettos of disabled staff. The money saved here is best put towards supporting disabled people in regular workplaces.
    I strongly disagree with all that but that is your opinion. I don't think Remploy employees would agree with you either and I'm sure they don't see themselves as "the priviliged few"

Agree wobble

That's why nobody stepped in to save them.

Apparently not the case.Someone was willing to step in but were knocked but and ironicly that company is now taking over the front end business of remploy

I think each disabled person's job there cost the Government about £13,000 a year on top of their wage. It was a luxury the Government couldn't justify for the privileged few.
    But they can afford to pay private companies approx 14k per person for those forced onto temp work programmes of which a very small percentage secure a full time job after

judas66
    Do you really think if labour get back in power they'd reverse this or any of the benefit changes ? Their reckless management of the economy has caused many of the problems leading to all these cuts ! I'd neever trust them in power and i was a labour supporter in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by judas66 View Post
    Do you really think if labour get back in power they'd reverse this or any of the benefit changes ?
    No/All parties are much of a muchness

Their reckless management of the economy has caused many of the problems leading to all these cuts ! I'd neever trust them in power and i was a labour supporter in the past.
    Yes many of the problems but you could go back even further pre labour being in power.This lot in power ain`t any better.A cabinet of millionaires running the country for millionaires/rich while the poorer get poorer

There austerity measures ain`t working