Thread: is being sick the same as being disabled - what barriers do you face

is being sick the same as being disabled - what barriers do you face

What's your view?

I'm disabled with severe impairments but I don't consider myself sick. I eat a healthy diet, I don't feel ill. But I do need help to keep mobile and I do need help with certain parts of daily living. I have to pay for a cleaner who also irons. I pay for a gardener. I can't do any DIY so I have to pay for any repairs to my home etc. I like to live independently but I do rely on the generosity of the public to help me when I'm out and about - people seem only to happy to assist whether by opening a door, carrying drinks, letting me in to the front of a queue.

Although I'm in pain all day whether sitting or standing I don't consider this to be a sickness as I don't know what it is like not to be in pain - that's normal for me.

The only time I feel different is when my needs aren't taken into account like entering a coffee shop to find the disabling barrier is three steps with no grab rail and a heavy glass door to push open - that's disabling and societies fault not mine.

If a ramp was in place with grab rails and an automatic opening door then the disabling barrier is removed enabling easy access to me, mums with prams and elderly people.

What disabling barriers would you like to see removed and why?

very interesting subject.

i think it all comes down to what sort of disability you may have.

i am sat here with a tube going in to a stoma and things can turn nasty in a blink of an eye (my amount of infections even shocked an atos doctor who came to see me)

one infection resulted me ending up in hospital where they were battling to get my temp down from 41c! (6 days)

also saw a documentary where a little lad had a skin condition and his condition was such that he would come out in blisters all over his body and it would make him blind for days on end.

as for barriers i had O.T come out to see and made some recommendations but some are out of my control, in the lap of the gods as i call it

there are lots of different types of disabilities out there and it will affect each person differently

Mike

I had a similar discussion with my consultant recently and he is of the opinion that 'if you are reliant on medication to enable you to function then you are sick'. I pointed out that some are reliant on booze, illegal drugs to function. he reckons then they are sick.
    Personally I believe all addiction, be it drink, drugs or obesity shouldn't be classed as a Disability but those afflicted are sick.
    My sickness results in my Disability & I class myself as Disabled but not necessary sick. My doctors say as I cannot be fixed I am sick.
    Compared to a lot of people I see I think I'm bloody lucky.

I think if you feel ill then that would be sick. That maybe due to your medical condition or maybe side effects of medication. I don't class the pain side as being ill.
    Everyone has there own levels as to how able they are to live a "normal" life. I may change places with someone who has only a physical disability but not with someone who has severe depression yet no physical disability or an alcholic.
    Using the DWP criteria I would say that it was the inability to live a daily life without suffering and the ability to function as you wish you could or once used to.

doberg
    Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    I think if you feel ill then that would be sick. That maybe due to your medical condition or maybe side effects of medication. I don't class the pain side as being ill.
    Everyone has there own levels as to how able they are to live a "normal" life. I may change places with someone who has only a physical disability but not with someone who has severe depression yet no physical disability or an alcholic.
    Using the DWP criteria I would say that it was the inability to live a daily life without suffering and the ability to function as you wish you could or once used to.

If that was the benchmark, 9 out of 10 in this country would be classed as sick or disabled!!