Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a hobby?

Do you have a hobby?

Today is a beautiful warm day - we're bathed in sunshine and a blue sky - most unusual for Manchester!

Today I visited my local supermarket to buy some odds and sods and to my delight I heard a voice shout my name. Who could this be - someone I hadn't seen in years - Mary. She greeted me with a kiss to both cheeks and asked after my health. Well today I received a letter confirming the Occupational Health's verdict of ill health retirement. It saddens me as I enjoyed the comradeship that work brings and boosts your ego not to mention the bank balance. Still I've taken a new route in life now with new adventures ahead - hopefully!

What's this to do with hobbies. Well Mary was a girlfriend of my best mate when we were in our teens! She's very photogenic and has the most captivating brown eyes. One day, decades ago, I asked if she wanted a photographic portrait doing. She jumped at the opportunity and I'll have to say it came out quite well. Even today she looks captivating and fresh faced.

I've always had an interest in photography from doing portraits, still life, photo-journalistic type shots to landscapes and the occasional wedding shoot for free.

Well tonight I'm rejoining a photographic club where they have talks, guest speakers, internal competitions and practical sessions. My trouble these days is that one arm doesn't work due to nerve damage and the other is usually holding an elbow crutch! Still I usually find ways of staying upright when taking photos by leaning against something to keep my balance.

Photography is in my blood - especially using digital cameras and then manipulating them in Photoshop.

I think as I see the world through a photographer's eye I tend to see things differently than most people. I see photo opportunities in the most mundane subject areas- I guess it's something you're born with.

Anyway, hopefully I'll rekindle my friendship with Mary as she now has my email address. Where would we be without the internet! Even my neighbour emails me - I guess that's progress from chatting over the garden fence - or is it?

What's your hobby and how did you get interested in it?

Hiya,

Photographers with Disabilities runs an accessible studio near Bristol, we also run an active website www.photographerswithdisabilities.com and a very active facebook group http://www.facebook.com/groups/244825096685/ Although based in Bristol we welcome members from all over the country so please visit our website or join our facebook group. chris Taylor

Hehe well these are my hobbies =D

FURRIES

And

PLAYING GUITAR
    I am a proud British European!

I think you look cuter in the first one Foxes, lol!
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    I think you look cuter in the first one Foxes, lol!
    Hehe most people think I am cute lol =D
    I am a proud British European!

My lifelong hobby is growing stuff (trees, shrubs, flowers, veg etc) primarily as part of a garden rather than for practical purposes, although we do get to eat some nice things such as apples, pears, figs, raspberries, tomatoes etc. Until recently I've also been actively involved in promoting gothic music via a monthly clubnight, festival and gigs but the recent deterioration in my health has now almost put a stop to that so that now I just help out colleagues when possible. I also do needlepoint and knitting and other occasional craft type projects. With a second grandchild imminent I'm just about to get back into knitting a few 'furry' toys I've collected quite a few vintage patterns of weird looking animals - tigers, gorillas, cats, zebra etc.

BrokenWings
    Currently I have no specific hobbies. Everything that seems to interest me seems to involve using physical energy so is a waste of time pursuing. I am interested in child psychology though and psychology in general. I want to take up photography maybe this year, though at the moment due to not being able to get out and about, all i'll be able to take pictures of would be my garden and dog lol. But it's my new years resolution to learn to drive so hopefully once I learn I will get more independent and can take myself to creative classes and will be able to pursue photography on outings.

Internet for me, it is my life. I learn so much, but I am so slow now online.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

skyprix
    Of course I think everyone has; mine’s reading and writing. During my idle time I used to read and read a lot books or articles from the web. Then whenever a notion comes in my mind I write it down and started creating a story.

Foxes:
    I'm also a big photography fan, but only since my granddaughters started to appear(I now have four) the oldest Sophie is now 3yr 9mth's,Sydney 1yr 11mth.Kiera 16mth and baby Lily 3weeks.
    So most of my shots are of my granddaughters. I only had a small point and shot, but won a fuji HS10/11 for a shot of my wife and Kiera.
    WOW now I know what I have been missing out on. Little point and shots are ok, But for more detail.you need a better camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoggie9/6087214524/

link is for the shot of wife and Kiera.
    Last edited by PhilH; 28-02-12 at 20:51.