Thread: Advice needed

Advice needed

My electric wheelchair as been damaged going down a so called "drop down kerb" which as resulted in the footplate, and the arm it fixes to, getting bent which means it get stuck on the left wheel, i have reported it but they have said any repairs have to be sorted out by me as there not guaranteeing the council will accept liability,so if i pay out and they dont admit fault what would be my next step, also is there anywhere i can get a bit of free legal advice about were i stand on this?

The idea of a dropped kerb is that the pavement gradually slopes down to the road. The lowered tactile paving slab would only be about 10mm above the road.

It sounds like you've either dropped off a high kerb or smashed your wheelchair head-on into a raised kerb.

I think you need to be a bit more specific as to what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by basil brush View Post
    My electric wheelchair as been damaged going down a so called "drop down kerb" which as resulted in the footplate, and the arm it fixes to, getting bent which means it get stuck on the left wheel, i have reported it but they have said any repairs have to be sorted out by me as there not guaranteeing the council will accept liability,so if i pay out and they dont admit fault what would be my next step, also is there anywhere i can get a bit of free legal advice about were i stand on this?
    If you damaged it going DOWN a dropped kerb, it must have been steep. That does not surprise me, I've seen steep, cambered and narrow. To end it so badly you must having going at quite a whack. Is your chair insured? Footplates are usually detachable - however if you do claim on insurance, they don't pay out retrospectively, so you may be better off paying for a new footplate

Went down the kerb slowly as i have no centre of gravity, the tarmac is supposed to butt up to the drop down kerb, but as its not been maintained there was like a gully between the kerb and the tarmac, wheels have gone into the gully and the footlate as hit the tarmac causing it to bend which means it is now wedged against the left wheel, look at the pictures, the path slopes down but there is no tarmac levelling it off , Attachment 2081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190508-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	2083