Thread: Petition against merging ESA and PIP assessments into one.

Petition against merging ESA and PIP assessments into one.

There's a petition against the merging the ESA/UC Work Capability and PIP assessments into a 'one size - doesn't fit anybody' test.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/244329

If you currently have to have different assessments for both ESA and PIP then it might sound like a good idea to only have one assessment for both, but think about it a bit more.

The concept has been looked at before, a few years ago, when they looked at using ESA assessment reports for PIP assessments and vice-versa.
    It didn't work because what is being assessed is very different for each benefit, so needs to be assessed differently.

For instance I qualify fairly easily for ESA WRAG, but the effects of my condition(s) (unconciousness) are not even considered for ESA Support Group or for PIP.
    Now it could be that a combined assessment, with a new set of descriptors, could change that and I'd get Support Group and maybe PIP.
    Anyone think that's likely?

The big danger is that they will come up with a new assessment, with a new set of descriptors, that will just be an excuse for finding less people entitled to either benefit.

Also bear in mind that if/when they do come up with a new set of descriptors then all the existing tribunal/court rulings about the current assessment and descriptors will no longer apply.
    So the DWP will be able to interpret the new descriptors as they like, at least for a couple of years until they get taken to court again for each one.

(There are also concerns that this may be just the first step towards merging CB ESA and PIP, and that the ultimate aim may be for them to eventually also be merged into Universal Credit).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Also, even if they did manage to get the assessments right, instead of just failing one of them; you can fail both together at the same time.

Brilliant idea. Not.

changing the goal posts yet again