Thread: housing

housing

Hi all,
    I am having to sell my house because of divorce. I will not come out with enough to buy again and also will loose my entitlement to housing benefit etc. I have been told I cannot get housed by council because i will have too much savings. I didnt explain that i had mobility problems and am on oxygen 24.7. What i am asking is could i be housed by local council on health grounds.

vikstar
    Quote Originally Posted by michellec View Post
    Hi all,
    I am having to sell my house because of divorce. I will not come out with enough to buy again and also will loose my entitlement to housing benefit etc. I have been told I cannot get housed by council because i will have too much savings. I didnt explain that i had mobility problems and am on oxygen 24.7. What i am asking is could i be housed by local council on health grounds.
    Having checked with a friend who is a Housing Officer with a Housing Association, they have confirmed that LC's and Housing Associations all have limits as to how much assets and savings that are allowed, with respect to offering you a tenancy.
    However, it may be worthwhile checking all the Housing Association that cover the areas that you may be interested in, as they all have different limits.

It's a shame, as you would have received priority for being unintentionally homeless, and for your health conditions, but they would be barred from offering you a tenancy due to your savings/assets.
    Another option would be shared ownership/equity, which you should inquire about with a HA.

I do know of people who have sold a property, and obtained a tenancy, however they face the risk of the HA finding out about their savings or assets, and then declaring their tenancy void. I suppose the risks are less severe if you are not claiming any benefits, I am obviously not advising you to do this, just mentioning it in passing.

Funny enough, if you already have a tenancy and come into an amount of money which would bar you from obtaining a tenancy if you did not already have one, it is not taken into account.

Thankyou for your answer.. I know our local authority housing has been taken over by a housing association, and the threshold is 72,000. A friend of mine was housed but when her divorce came through with monies she had to give up her flat. Also would anyone know if my kids would be housed. I have a daughter who is 22 and a son who is 17 and in the army. I need at least one living with me because of my health.
    If i was to buy on shared ownership would i get housing benefit with my daughter living with me, because i have seen some of the rents mounting about 300 pounds per month.

vikstar
    Thankyou for your answer.. I know our local authority housing has been taken over by a housing association, and the threshold is 72,000. A friend of mine was housed but when her divorce came through with monies she had to give up her flat. Also would anyone know if my kids would be housed. I have a daughter who is 22 and a son who is 17 and in the army. I need at least one living with me because of my health.
    If i was to buy on shared ownership would i get housing benefit with my daughter living with me, because i have seen some of the rents mounting about 300 pounds per month.
    Wow £72,000 seems a lot from what my friend told me, even though she did say that the amount of savings/assets did vary from one LC/HA to another, the friend quoted figures of around £16,000 for a single, and £32,000 for a couple for one of the HA's that they previously worked for, and £19,000 for a single with the current HA that they work for. As your children would both be classed as adults they would have to seek their own tenancies, although if they have been made homeless through no fault of their own, they would gain some priority.

As I have already said, from what I have been told, any preferential treatment or priority that you may have been entitled to is lost if you have assets above the amount that is allowed by any individual LC/HA.
    With respect to HB, as far as I am aware you will not be entitled to any HB if your savings/assets are above £16,000, https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/eligibility

My friend only deals with full rent tenancies, so you would have to check rules regarding shared ownership/equity, with regards to one or more of your children living with you.
    Last edited by vikstar; 18-11-12 at 20:21.

Hi all,
    LA and HA use a varied criteria for assessing someones housing needs, health is just one point amongst many. Social housing is in severe shortage, so from what you say I think it highly unlikely that you will pass their criteria and you will be expected to look to the private sector.

littlebib
    lots of things to consider

Your daughter would be able to go on the waiting list if she as no assets but unless as a child or health probs wouldn't be priority, as far as i know from my friend whose son is in army he was told he couldn't go on housing list as he's not permanently leaving in uk cos of the tours. As already mentioned very little housing out there now, maybe consider a static if you have enough. Good luck with it

littlebib
    very little housing around, more in some places than others

I got divorced 6 years ago and came out with 64,000 which I put down as a deposit for a shared ownership property, I did have to move from an expensive area to a cheaper area (Hampshire to Somerset) but I managed, as my rent and council tax were paid by housing benefit and council tax benefit as I was on Income Support - benefits people and housing people all knew this, and because the proceeds from the divorce were going straight onto a place to live for myself, and not for me to spend on luxuries they were ok with this, plus this was written into divorce settlement and the money was not actually released to me, but straight from solicitors to housing.

littlebib
    hampshire quite expensive, nearer to london more so, somerset cheaper. nice counties, both