Thread: Universal Credit Housing Element for Social Housing

Universal Credit Housing Element for Social Housing

I rent a 2 bedroom flat with my husband through a housing association.
    We have just been granted entitlement to the 2nd bedroom due to disability.
    Should we now be getting the full rent paid? We previously had a 14% deduction before the 2nd bedroom was needed.

We have the same, as the 2nd bedroom is used for home dialysis. You have to notify the HA, and the council. A letter from the hospital or doctor is probably needed with the date you started using it for medical purposes They might pop out and do an inspection. Basically look to see it is what you said it was!

Thanks. We have been granted the extra bedroom without any inspections. The housing benefit is paid through Universal Credit so I think itís UC who inform the council.
    Do you know if the extra bedroom is paid for from when it was needed or from when the entitlement was granted by UC?
    Also, is your full rent paid now?

Quote Originally Posted by NoPainNoGain View Post
    We have been granted the extra bedroom
    Who has 'granted' you the extra bedroom? (Which organisation/department?).

If you are getting UC Housing Element then that is paid by the DWP - it is not Housing Benefit so has nothing to do with the council.

You need to inform the DWP of your change of circumstances (the grant of the bedroom for disability needs) through your UC journal.
    https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/...-circumstances
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPainNoGain View Post
    Thanks. We have been granted the extra bedroom without any inspections. The housing benefit is paid through Universal Credit so I think itís UC who inform the council.
    Do you know if the extra bedroom is paid for from when it was needed or from when the entitlement was granted by UC?
    Also, is your full rent paid now?
    I would take advice from nukecad as we are not on UC. I would not rely on any dept to inform another. First rule of thumb - assume they are all idjits. and inform them yourself.
    I velieve you full rent woud be paid, but I don't know how UC works.

I'm still a bit fuzzy/unsure about what is meant by "We have just been granted entitlement to the 2nd bedroom due to disability."

Where has this come from?
    What organisation has "granted entitlement"?
    In what form is this "entitlement" stated?

Is it a letter, if so who is if from?
    (And what does it say?)

If you are on UC, and the letter is from your council, then you will need to show the letter to UC as a change of circumstances.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.