Thread: Want to move in with wife - what to do?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Want to move in with wife - what to do?

Hi,

Our situation may not be as complicated or as worrying as it seems to me right now.
    My wife has a serious mental health condition and is on ESA. We separated shortly after marrying earlier this year. She fell pregnant before this. She is now 6 months pregnant.
    I have suffered from severe anxiety most of my life and began self-medicating with alcohol at a very young age.
    Realising that alcohol was a massive problem I quit and was prescribed anti-anxiety pills and have been referred to a therapist.
    My anxiety has got so bad now that I couldn't make it into work (it was a temp role but had been constant for the last few months). My gp has given me a sick note and I've decided I should go on benefits until I can sort my condition out.

My question is-
    What is the best way to do this?
    Should I claim ESA now and wait for a decision before moving in with my wife or move in and make a claim from my wife's address?
    My wife's condition is quite severe and she does need constant care. At present she's not getting any apart from visits to her local MH Services.

She is very worried that if I move in her benefits might stop and we would be left without an income- a major trigger for her condition!

Any help would be great.
    Thanks

If you move you are assessed as a couple. Does your wife get Disability Living Allowance middle rate or high rate care? If yes, then you will be best to claim Carers Allowance as that gets you and extra £32.60 a weeks as a carer from ESA.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    If you move you are assessed as a couple. Does your wife get Disability Living Allowance middle rate or high rate care? If yes, then you will be best to claim Carers Allowance as that gets you and extra £32.60 a weeks as a carer from ESA.
    She is just about to claim for DLA. Are you saying maybe she shouldn't and I claim for Carer's Allowance instead?
    Also, her main fear is because she has only just started receiving ESA and I haven't started my claim, that when I move in they will stop payments whilst they reassess our claim.
    Being pregnant this is the last thing she wants.
    So we are between a rock and a hard place - We want to give our marriage another chance and obviously create a stable household for our child but being pregnant the last thing she wants is for her money to stop
    Last edited by Hackenbush; 15-11-12 at 18:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackenbush View Post
    She is just about to claim for DLA. Are you saying maybe she shouldn't and I claim for Carer's Allowance instead?
    Also, her main fear is because she has only just started receiving ESA and I haven't started my claim, that when I move in they will stop payments whilst they reassess our claim.
    Being pregnant this is the last thing she wants.
    So we are between a rock and a hard place - We want to give our marriage another chance and obviously create a stable household for our child but being pregnant the last thing she wants is for her money to stop
    No - for you to be able to claim Carers Allowance your wife must first be awarded DLA Care at the middle or higher rate. That would give you maximum benefit income with the minimum of hassle as far as you are concerned (and if you do move back in of course.)
    But meanwhile - while your wife is waitng for a decision on her DLA claim - if your doc considers you unfit for work you should claim ESA. As things stand your wife would soon be able to go onto maternity allowance anyway if she were on her own. Or if on ESA she would still be classed as having limited capability to work. No-one is going to give her any hassle at that stage of pregnancy.
    If you move back in with her, and you are getting ESA - and she is pregnant - you would simply claim Income Support as well for the two of you as a couple.

Thanks for all the advice. Due to the circumstances we've decided to move in together anyway, although the reassurance that her benefit won't suddenly stop has helped calm her nerves, so thank you!
    She is applying for DLA now as well.