Thread: Can I still get benefits whilst in hospital

Can I still get benefits whilst in hospital

I am going into hospital next year for an overall period of 3 months minimum, Probably Monday lunchtime to Friday afternoon each week. If anything significant arises during that time (eg my son's graduation) I will probably be able to go.
    My husband gets Carer's Allowance, Income support (joint claim) and I get DLA and Direct Payments.
    My husband will still be caring for me when I am at home and taking me back and forth to hospital. I will still need my other Carer to come in over those weekends. I pay her from direct payments. I also have a social element to my DP.
    I won't get a date until after Christmas and I'm not sure if I should be doing something about benefits now. I may not go home every weekend as that means two 7 hour round trips, fuel and carparking. We can reclaim some fuel allowance because of income support, but if that changes due to me being in hospital we won't be able to afford it. Carparking is £17.00, which is not claimable. If I am 'let out' for other things, as above, that will mean more travel expenses.
    The biggest problem at the moment is that the exact duration and when I will be allowed home won't be decided until I am actually there having treatment and even when I am allowed home we may not be able to afford the trip, so I can't give the benefit agency or council any more information than I have above.

Basically, if these benefits are cut or stopped, I may not go at all if we cannot afford it.

I know I could get in touch with the various agencies about this, but I fear changes may be made automatically e.g. from the date I am admitted to the date I am discharged, regardless of the time spent at home, and even if claimable afterwards it will put us into very great hardship. I don't relish the thought of being many miles away from home and unable to have visitors or go home for weekends if benefits are cut.
    "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude."
    Maya Angelou

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I am going into hospital next year for an overall period of 3 months minimum, Probably Monday lunchtime to Friday afternoon each week. If anything significant arises during that time (eg my son's graduation) I will probably be able to go.
    My husband gets Carer's Allowance, Income support (joint claim) and I get DLA and Direct Payments.
    My husband will still be caring for me when I am at home and taking me back and forth to hospital. I will still need my other Carer to come in over those weekends. I pay her from direct payments. I also have a social element to my DP.
    I won't get a date until after Christmas and I'm not sure if I should be doing something about benefits now. I may not go home every weekend as that means two 7 hour round trips, fuel and carparking. We can reclaim some fuel allowance because of income support, but if that changes due to me being in hospital we won't be able to afford it. Carparking is £17.00, which is not claimable. If I am 'let out' for other things, as above, that will mean more travel expenses.
    The biggest problem at the moment is that the exact duration and when I will be allowed home won't be decided until I am actually there having treatment and even when I am allowed home we may not be able to afford the trip, so I can't give the benefit agency or council any more information than I have above.

Basically, if these benefits are cut or stopped, I may not go at all if we cannot afford it.

I know I could get in touch with the various agencies about this, but I fear changes may be made automatically e.g. from the date I am admitted to the date I am discharged, regardless of the time spent at home, and even if claimable afterwards it will put us into very great hardship. I don't relish the thought of being many miles away from home and unable to have visitors or go home for weekends if benefits are cut.
    you cant contact them yet as your not in hospital and they want facts not guess work, given the lack of funds in the NHS your date could slide back to next April when the money kicks in again :-) so dont russ into doing anything IMO

I think you will lose DLA care and carers allowance too week ends are not long enough time periods to get them benefits IMO of course
    why wont you go if the benefits are cut ? you will be geting the care in the hospital

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    you cant contact them yet as your not in hospital and they want facts not guess work, given the lack of funds in the NHS your date could slide back to next April when the money kicks in again :-) so dont russ into doing anything IMO

I think you will lose DLA care and carers allowance too week ends are not long enough time periods to get them benefits IMO of course
    why wont you go if the benefits are cut ? you will be geting the care in the hospital
    I still need to pay for care over the times I am home. If benefits are cut we won't be able to afford the fuel and carparking back and forth to the hospital.
    "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude."
    Maya Angelou

davewhit
    I still need to pay for care over the times I am home. If benefits are cut we won't be able to afford the fuel and carparking back and forth to the hospital.
    well CA is paid for 1st 12 weeks and dla 1ST 4 WEEKS

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/f7.htm

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    well CA is paid for 1st 12 weeks and dla 1ST 4 WEEKS

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/f7.htm
    Thank you so much - that is exactly the info I was hoping to find but am a bit rubbish at internet searching. Thanks again.
    Maya Angelou

tom1989

Why did you not be in hospital to need to pay the cost of care? Nursing staff will follow you home? If the hospital is too unfair to you. You should raise objections to the hospital. When I was in the best hospital in Singapore I have not encountered this kind of situation, when I'm not in the hospital when they won't charge me any fees. If you cannot solve the problems which don't you still stay in the hospital.