Thread: DLA reinstatement problems

DLA reinstatement problems

Hello all. I'm after some advice about my fathers DLA entitlement.

He's received the allowance for about 15 years and has an indefinite entitlement. Back in June he was admitted to hositpal under section and was finally discharged 4 months later. We rang the DLA helpline to make them aware that he was home and also that also before he was discharged he had spent a week at home to assess how he would cope.

My understanding was that as soon as he was back that his DLA would be reinstated. However nearly a month on his payments have yet to begin. There was a short delay whilst we returned a form that DLA sent to confirm how much time he'd spent at home before final discharge from hospital. Aside from this we haven't had any sort of information or updates from DLA. We call the helpline a couple of times a week only to be told that the claim is with the decision makers and that they're unable to give us any further information.

I just wanted some advice on whether this was usual and what's typical in terms of timescale etc. Also were we wrong to assume that the claim would automatically be reinstated. Also any advice on what I should do next would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Alex_uk; 12-11-12 at 14:27. Reason: Typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_uk View Post

He's received the allowance for about 15 years and has an indefinite entitlement. Back in June he was admitted to hositpal under section and was finally discharged 4 months later. We rang the DLA helpline to make them aware that he was home and also that also before he was discharged he had spent a week at home to assess how he would cope.

My understanding was that as soon as he was back that his DLA would be reinstated. However nearly a month on his payments have yet to begin. There was a short delay whilst we returned a form that DLA sent to confirm how much time he'd spent at home before final discharge from hospital. Aside from this we haven't had any sort of information or updates from DLA. We call the helpline a couple of times a week only to be told that the claim is with the decision makers and that they're unable to give us any further information.

I just wanted some advice on whether this was usual and what's typical in terms of timescale etc. Also were we wrong to assume that the claim would automatically be reinstated. Also any advice on what I should do next would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
    There are no indefinite entitlements any more, and as such ALL DLA claims are subject to re-evaluation by the DWP and an automatic reinstatement wouldn't happen these days.
    DLA is backlogged with work at the moment and especially DM's, so to be honest the time scale is anyones guess but working from your dates, he came out of hospital in September??? Although DLA will only work at their own pace, I think by the end of this month you should be making some noises as to what's happening. I have to tell you that it is a possibilty that your father may be asked to undergo an assessment, depending on his condition and circumstances.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_uk View Post

Thanks in advance.
    when you send the paperwork it will have to wait its turn to be looked at so as the "average" time is 11 weeks for a claim................. then getting started could take that long too there is no fast track for restarts

DCM CLAIMS
    Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    when you send the paperwork it will have to wait its turn to be looked at so as the "average" time is 11 weeks for a claim................. then getting started could take that long too there is no fast track for restarts
    DLA waiting times have now increased to 15 weeks as notified to our clients by the DWP, as wobble1 says give them until the end of the month then start ringing / writing is your best bet.

Thank you all for the replies. He actually came home on 12th October so it's 'only' a month ago. I suspect it's just a case a case of being patient. I will give it some more time. Just talking to my dad today he's entitled to some additional support as he's just been released from section so he may have access to a welfare rights officer. I'll update this thread when I get an update.

Thank you all again.