Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dla and new changes

dla and new changes

hidoes anyone know what is going to happen when the dla changes come into effect ? also will we be assessed on the illness we already had when we first claimed dla or will it be a fresh examination thanks angela

Well as per my understanding and talking to pro. people it will be same as I.B to ESA we all have to go through same process
    It is vary worrying situtaion for all disabled people

Yes we will all have to go through this whole ESA thing again it is very stress full,we will be going by points again rather than how our illness/disability actually affects us,as i am aware it happens either before or by April 2013,i myself are on it so am dreading having to through the same process.

Yes we will all have to go through this whole ESA thing again it is very stress full,we will be going by points again rather than how our illness/disability actually affects us,as i am aware it happens either before or by April 2013,i myself are on it so am dreading having to through the same process again as many are too.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisychain View Post
    Yes we will all have to go through this whole ESA thing again it is very stress full,we will be going by points again rather than how our illness/disability actually affects us,as i am aware it happens either before or by April 2013,i myself are on it so am dreading having to through the same process again as many are too.
    It is proposed to run a trial in the North west from April 2013 . As far as i can tell the whole PIP thing is still very much in the airand no one really can say for certain what is happening of definite . Could be wrong but that's the impression given to me when i have asked certain civil servants about it

thanks everyone hope they sort it out do you think there will be a medical ?

Stig Hi, yes you are right in saying it is in air but do remember same thing was said about E.S.A IT WILL HAPPEN SOONER THEN LETTER
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    It is proposed to run a trial in the North west from April 2013 . As far as i can tell the whole PIP thing is still very much in the airand no one really can say for certain what is happening of definite . Could be wrong but that's the impression given to me when i have asked certain civil servants about it

Quote Originally Posted by uday View Post
    Stig Hi, yes you are right in saying it is in air but do remember same thing was said about E.S.A IT WILL HAPPEN SOONER THEN LETTER
    Yes it probably will however i treat it like an exocet missile -----> you know its coming but there is f*** all you can do about it .Just another bridge to hobble/wheel across or hoop to get sticks crutches wheel chairs or zimmer frames through . Until that form lands on the door mat everything everyone is saying about it is educated speculation & no point in making myself ill with worry waiting for it to happen

doberg
    You will have to score at least 8 points to 11 points to be awarded the lower rate and 12 points and above for the higher rate.
    You can only score once in each section.

Most if not all will be tested with a face to face assessment similar to ESA using similar computer software to generate a report and allocate points.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Points Scores

CARE ELEMENT

1. Preparing food and drink.
    a. Can prepare and cook a simple meal unaided. 0 points
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points
    c. Cannot cook a simple meal using a conventional cooker but can do so using a microwave. 2 points
    d. Needs prompting to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points
    e. Needs supervision to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 4 points
    f. Needs assistance to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 4 points
    g. Cannot prepare and cook food and drink at all. 8 points

2. Taking nutrition.
    a. Can take nutrition unaided. 0 points
    b. Needs either –
    (i) to use an aid or appliance to take nutrition; or
    (ii) assistance to cut up food. 2 points
    c. Needs a therapeutic source to take nutrition. 2 points
    d. Needs prompting to take nutrition. 4 points
    e. Needs assistance to manage a therapeutic source to take nutrition. 6 points
    f. Needs another person to convey food and drink to their mouth. 10 points

3. Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition.
    a. Either –
    (i) Does not receive medication, therapy or need to monitor a health condition; or
    (ii) can manage medication, therapy or monitor a health condition unaided, or with the use of an aid or appliance. 0 points
    b. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to manage medication or monitor a health condition. 1 point
    c. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to manage therapy that takes up to 3.5 hours a week. 2 points
    d. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to manage therapy that takes between 3.5 and 7 hours a week. 4 points
    e. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to manage therapy that takes between 7 and 14 hours a week. 6 points
    f. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to manage therapy that takes at least 14 hours a week. 8 points

4. Bathing and grooming.
    a. Can bathe and groom unaided. 0 points
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to groom. 1 point
    c. Needs prompting to groom. 1 point
    d. Needs assistance to groom. 2 points
    e. Needs supervision or prompting to bathe. 2 points
    f. Needs to use an aid or appliance to bathe. 2 points
    g. Needs assistance to bathe. 4 points
    h. Cannot bathe and groom at all. 8 points

5. Managing toilet needs or incontinence.
    a. Can manage toilet needs or incontinence unaided. 0 points
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to manage toilet needs or incontinence. 2 points
    c. Needs prompting to manage toilet needs. 2 points
    d. Needs assistance to manage toilet needs. 4 points
    e. Needs assistance to manage incontinence of either bladder or bowel. 6 points
    f. Needs assistance to manage incontinence of both bladder and bowel. 8 points
    g. Cannot manage incontinence at all. 8 points

6. Dressing and undressing.
    a. Can dress and undress unaided. 0 points
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to dress or undress. 2 points
    c. Needs either -
    (i) prompting to dress, undress or determine appropriate circumstances for remaining clothed; or
    (ii) assistance or prompting to select appropriate clothing. 2 points
    d. Needs assistance to dress or undress lower body. 3 points
    e. Needs assistance to dress or undress upper body. 4 points
    f. Cannot dress or undress at all. 8 points

7. Communicating.
    a. Can communicate unaided and access written information unaided, or using spectacles or contact lenses. 0 points
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance other than spectacles or contact lenses to access written information. 2 points
    c. Needs to use an aid or appliance to express or understand verbal communication. 2 points
    d. Needs assistance to access written information. 4 points
    e. Needs communication support to express or understand complex verbal information. 4 points
    f. Needs communication support to express or understand basic verbal information. 8 points
    g. Cannot communicate at all. 12 points

8. Engaging socially.
    a. Can engage socially unaided. 0 points
    b. Needs prompting to engage socially. 2 points
    c. Needs social support to engage socially. 4 points
    d. Cannot engage socially due to such engagement causing either –
    (i) overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant; or
    (ii) the claimant to exhibit uncontrollable episodes of behaviour which would result in a substantial risk of harm to the claimant or another person. 8 points

9. Making financial decisions.
    a. Can manage complex financial decisions unaided. 0 points
    b. Needs prompting to make complex financial decisions. 2 points
    c. Needs prompting to make simple financial decisions. 4 points
    d. Cannot make any financial decisions at all. 6 points

MOBILISING ELEMENT

10. Planning and following a journey.
    a. Can plan and follow a journey unaided. 0 points
    b. Needs prompting for all journeys to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points
    c. Needs either –
    (i) supervision, prompting or a support dog to follow a journey to an unfamiliar destination; or
    (ii) a journey to an unfamiliar destination to have been entirely planned by another person. 8 points
    d. Cannot follow any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10 points
    e. Needs either –
    (i) supervision, prompting or a support dog to follow a journey to a familiar destination; or
    (ii) a journey to a familiar destination to have been planned entirely by another person. 15 points

11. Moving around.
    a. Can move at least 200 metres either –
    (i) unaided; or
    (ii) using an aid or appliance, other than a wheelchair or a motorised device. 0 points
    b. Can move at least 50 metres but not more than 200 metres either –
    (i) unaided; or
    (ii) using an aid or appliance, other than a wheelchair or a motorised device. 4 points
    c. Can move up to 50 metres unaided but no further. 8 points
    d. Cannot move up to 50 metres without using an aid or appliance, other than a wheelchair or a motorised device. 10 points
    e. Cannot move up to 50 metres without using a wheelchair propelled by the claimant. 12 points
    f. Cannot move up to 50 metres without using a wheelchair propelled by another person or a motorised device. 15 points
    g. Cannot either –
    (i) move around at all; or
    (ii) transfer unaided from one seated position to another adjacent seated position. 15 points

Most well advised people will have already decided on which descriptor and what rate should relate to them. They will also have already started to gather the relevant medical evidence in support of those descriptors - not just medical reports but reports that actually indicate the relevant descriptor and why they (the medical professionals) consider that their patient should score the relevant points for the descriptor.

Much like ESA, this is not a test to prove a disability or even to show how the disability impacts on their lives, but a test pure and simple of matching the relevant descriptor(s) to the diagnosed disability, why and at what rate.

Say for example you believe that 6(f) Cannot dress or undress at all applies to you which will give 8 points. You will have to explain why it does backed up with medical evidence that the medical professionals agree with you and they too will have to give a reason for reaching that opinion.

All of the evidence will have to be gathered by you, the claimant as it is not the responsibility of the DWP/ATOS to provide you with that help. The DWP will make a decision based entirely on (a) the form which will be similar to the ESA50 (Self Assessment), (b) the report generated by ATOS or CAPITA and (c) any other evidence that you choose to supply.
    Obviously the DWP will have access to your previous DLA applications and evidence used with those as well as any medical reports that have been generated by ATOS when looking at your ESA claim (which may or may not help you).
    Last edited by doberg; 28-11-12 at 14:17.

judas66
    It's about time the rules for motability got stricter ! it's got too easy other the years to get HRM and been abused by many. Roll on 2013 !