Thread: allow yellow striped dimaond travel card to be used 24/7

concessionarybefore9

allow yellow striped dimaond travel card to be used 24/7

We have setup a petition in the hope, that the current restriction of not being able to use. Your diamond travel card before 9AM on weekdays can be lifted. (We think in particular the yellow striped cards for, disabled people should have no restrictions)

We don't think it's right that the restriction is there, we know it's peak travel time, but still it is not right.

You can help us, sign our petition, and stay update with us, by following us on twitter.

Sign the petition: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41105
    follow us on twitter: http://twitter.com/concessionary9

Thank you for kind support

Concessionary9 Campaign Team

doberg
    Quote Originally Posted by concessionarybefore9 View Post
    We have setup a petition in the hope, that the current restriction of not being able to use. Your diamond travel card before 9AM on weekdays can be lifted. (We think in particular the yellow striped cards for, disabled people should have no restrictions)

We don't think it's right that the restriction is there, we know it's peak travel time, but still it is not right.

You can help us, sign our petition, and stay update with us, by following us on twitter.

Sign the petition: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41105
    follow us on twitter: http://twitter.com/concessionary9

Thank you for kind support

Concessionary9 Campaign Team
    OK, if travel was allowed before 9.00am what do you think would happen?

The current transportation system we have at the moment, be it trains, buses or whatever already groans under the weight of daily commuters and business travel.

If all of a sudden the queues got longer with 'exempt' travellers it would grind to a halt. This already happens during the summer in Lancashire. The buses to places such as Blackpool, Lytham, Southport are full soon after 9.00am with non paying passengers. You know when the first 'free' bus is due - The Derby & Joan club members crowd round each bus stop!!

If I couldn't have got on my normal 6.00am train to go to work because of the volume of 'free' passengers I would not have been too happy!
    Then what about the school children who need to get to school - should they have to fight to get on a bus under those conditions.
    Hey those that pay a fortune in travel costs should surely have first choice.

Besides which the transport companies have to make a profit, better to have the Peak travel costs for those that have to use it pre 9am leaving subsidised travel for after 9.00am.

We both have a 'free pass' - me for the past 4 years and my wife 8 years. We have always found a way round the 9am benchmark. If it is a hospital visit, we rearrange the appointment if we can to later in the day or if we can't, we pay the normal fare just like everyone else does!
    Last edited by doberg; 26-11-12 at 10:00.

The problem is if the rule was relaxed, it would cause a lot of problems for people needing to travel like workers. I am entitled to unrestircted free travel in my area without time limit, but what should be more restricted is the use of the pensioners passes, they should not be permitted to sit in pirority seats for disabled at all, as they just abuse the system, when they should be left clear for legitmiate disabled travellers. I get this because of my visual impairment, but personally it should be restricted to legitmate disabled, and those pensioners who travel free should actually pay at least £4 return as most of them could afford to and this would in turn mean more free travel possibilities for the disabled, but in my opinion the pensioners should be paying for disabled free travel, as they just abuse it too much in my opinion and giving it free to the disabled who need it more is better. I also think, the scheme should be extended to cover all uk trams, but the trains for disabled as well, as it's an extra £25 a year for a railcard, this should be included or free rail travel given to disabled but the only way I could see of doing this is modify or stop the pensioners free travel, which should be done in some form as it's getting too heavily abused.

Hold on before you get too worked up about pensioners. Remember that your disabled card gets converted to a pensioners' card at your pensionable age; at least that's what I've been given to understand. At the moment I can travel before 0930 at a concessionary rate, but after 65, I'll be treated like all the other codgers. Fair enough in some respects, but irritating if, at that point, you're confined to using public transport.
    Be careful what you wish for folks!

I don't know any disabled people who get up before 9am never mind be up and on a bus for that time !

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    I don't know any disabled people who get up before 9am never mind be up and on a bus for that time !
    I'm up at 6am to get to work for 7am.

The buses don't run before 7am here, so they are of no use to me.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    I'm in work by 9am!

Very few accessible buses here, you never know if one is going to turn up or not. Worthless to me, may as well not be any.