Thread: Help - Word Press website editing

Help - Word Press website editing

There are times when you wish you wouldn't offer to 'look into web editing' especially when one has no idea what one is doing.

I'm having a go at trying to add youtube film pdfs and jpegs plus changing text. I think I've successfully wrecked the website as things are showing up as 'private' - links are missing, pages can't be viewed hmmmmm

Oh dear - this reminds me of DIY - Destroy It Yourself - well that's what you get from willing volunteers with no experience.

I have used Wordpress a few times and found it to be free but difficult to make it do what I want.

I have no useful advice to offer but you do have my sympathy.

Think of it as either a useful learning experience or a well meant waste of your time. Either way, it is better than watching Loose Women or Downton Abbey. ;-)

I can only offer you the obvious tip - have you checked online for tutorials? Whatever you want to do, in whatever format - in this case WordPress - you'll find plenty of help including youtube video tutorials...
    You may recall I use serif for my site. The reason for that is I can choose what level of know-how I need from the most basic - using or bastardising their existing templates (which is the route I've taken at the mo) - or more advanced where you can write the lot in HTML if you're so inclined.
    I found WP a bit too clunky for me but I'll probably look at it later for blogs etc ...

Thank you both for your advice.

What really bugs me is I really don't like the naff design website in the first place - it isn't pleasing to my refined eye - neither is it accessible - in fact it's a shambles.

It's a content management run website but I can't even change the font to something more agreeable.

As you say Rae you can work with HTML coding or just type in text and hilight in bold etc.

I seemed to have at least got it somewhere near where it was - I think I'm on a steep learning curve.

I would love to start from scratch with a blank canvass.In the meantime I'll clock off and maybe check out tutorials in the morning or get myself a book called HTML for dummies.

Time for a few glasses of wine with a nuked tea me thinks!