Thread: Wheelchair assessment and voucher scheme

Wheelchair assessment and voucher scheme

Has anyone been for a wheelchair assessment?

Has anyone taken up the wheelchair voucher option?

Well I've been seen by my neuro physiotherapist over a number of years and now, after my knee operation, she thinks it might be a good idea to be assessed for a wheelchair as my walking heavily depends on my use of a crutch. This in turn has caused my only good hand to develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

So next week I'm visiting the Council's own wheelchair unit. The thing is one hand and arm don't work either so although I'd prefer a manual wheelchair I can't use one as I'd be going round in circles!!

The type of manual wheelchair they will suggest is a hospital porter type chair with four small wheels which means you rely on someone else to push.

I really want a manual self propelled foldable electric assisted one handed wheelchair or similar. A four wheel electric scooter is fie but impractical for getting in and out of an NPV.

I was hoping to ask for a wheelchair voucher so I could buy my own - if I can find one.

This is work in progress - feel free to comment.

Well my custom built free NHS black manual wheelchair was delivered this afternoon. When I went for an assessment I decided to ditch the voucher scheme and go for a standard manual self-propelling wheelchair. Strange you might think as I can't use one arm or walk without the use of an elbow crutch. Well I'm going to keep it in my car's hatch so when I'm out with other people they can have the honour of pushing me to the shops, shop mobility to get a power chair.

What's impressed me is that the chair has been custom made for me complete with raised brake handle, crutch holder and cushioned back support. Still don't think it's as good an accessory as my old iphone but at least it's practical and may help when assessed for PIP between Jan 2014 and March 2016 if I'm still around on this ball of clay called earth. lol

Good luck with the wheelchair. It may make a difference with PIP.