Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carers allowance

Carers allowance

Can someone confirm if you are a carer for someone can you also be a carer for someone else so in other words can you be a carer for two people.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by josephine View Post
    Can someone confirm if you are a carer for someone can you also be a carer for someone else so in other words can you be a carer for two people.
    no you cant like any benefit only one will be paid

You can only be paid Carers Allowance for looking after one person. Looking after a second person will not mean you lose any benefit though.

doberg
    How are you managing to care for two people for a minimum of 10 hours a day on average? Do you not find it tiring?

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by doberg View Post
    How are you managing to care for two people for a minimum of 10 hours a day on average? Do you not find it tiring?
    there are people in this world (some children too) who work many hours caring for people chap on the radio the other day has to look after a relative day and night

doberg
    Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    there are people in this world (some children too) who work many hours caring for people chap on the radio the other day has to look after a relative day and night
    If that is the actual truth then it does surprise me.

Caring for at least 10 hours a day, every day of the week, every week of the year and then having to do your own work, have a social life, eat and of course sleep seems a lot of hours to me.

mind you I suppose there is a difference between actual physical caring and general looking after.

I only mention this as I have a close relative aged 89 who lives on his own 300 miles away. I travel to be with him twice a month and stay for 4/5 days at a time. If you take all of those hours together, travel, caring, helping etc it would easilly amount to over 60 hours in the week.

It seems strange though that when I tried to claim CA for him (he gets AA highest award) for those two weeks out of every four, I was told I couldn't because it had to be regular - every week throughout the year.

On that basis I would be knackered after just 6 months of it - even the drive up and back every week would take 12 hours at a cost of over £150 in fuel alone !

Still it was just interest on my part about the poster and how they managed it.
    Last edited by doberg; 26-10-12 at 18:01.

davewhit
    If that is the actual truth then it does surprise me.

it.
    It is the truth they do a program once a year on tv where awards are given to "young carers" these are kids from the age of 8 to 16 who do full day at school then do the shopping cleaning and caring for a parent with very complex health programs

just did a search there are 13,000 children doing 50 hours a week

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/what_we_...ung_carers.htm many do more and many adults do full time work then cap nap to look after someone all night

Thought you could claim for providing care 35 hours per week, which is 5 hours per day?

doberg
    Quote Originally Posted by seriouslyfedup View Post
    Thought you could claim for providing care 35 hours per week, which is 5 hours per day?
    You are correct, but the OP is asking if they can claim for being a carer for two people which is a minimum of 10 hours a day.
    The OP already receives CA for one person - they are asking if they can double it which they can't.

The OP already receives CA for one person .
    Do they? I thought they were asking on behalf of someone else.