Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Badge Application - First Timer!!

Blue Badge Application - First Timer!!

Hi All,

This is my first post and so apologies if it is not in the correct forum!

I'm 23 and have been diagnosed with chronic hyper mobility syndrome, although I've had this for about 10 years i've only just had the diagnosis. Anyway, i have applied for a blue badge under the advice of my doctor as I have the problem in both legs and arms and so am starting to find it very hard to walk for too long now.

I applied last week online with all my info and I assume they will call me in for an assessment as I don't match all the criteria.
    Can anyone offer any advice on this and how extreme it is? And also if anyone can give me some info on how long the process normally takes?

I'm a little worried about an assessment as my condition is different day to day, some days I can hardly walk at all and others it's not as bad.

Any help would be fantastic

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by KirstiRobRob View Post
    Hi All,

This is my first post and so apologies if it is not in the correct forum!

I'm 23 and have been diagnosed with chronic hyper mobility syndrome, although I've had this for about 10 years i've only just had the diagnosis. Anyway, i have applied for a blue badge under the advice of my doctor as I have the problem in both legs and arms and so am starting to find it very hard to walk for too long now.

I applied last week online with all my info and I assume they will call me in for an assessment as I don't match all the criteria.
    Can anyone offer any advice on this and how extreme it is? And also if anyone can give me some info on how long the process normally takes?

I'm a little worried about an assessment as my condition is different day to day, some days I can hardly walk at all and others it's not as bad.

Any help would be fantastic
    The law has just changed regards blue bages and how you are treated if you dont have higher rate mobility is down to your local council and how they have decided to deal with ......... have a look on there web site they might cal you for an assessment or contact your dr

I didn't have the "higher rate mobility" and I was turned down, but a letter from my doctor sorted it out

It's only in the last 6 months that both the application and physical badge has changed to cut down on forgeries.

As was said as you haven't applied for DLA, assuming you're under 65, you'll have to complete about a 20 page form. As was said if you can get back-up information about how difficult you find getting around from your Doctor, partner, physio etc the better your case.

Finally your local authority may also require you to attend a local library where they will take your signature, take a digital photo and ask for £10. The last bit will vary from local authority.

All this information is processed through one central countrywide department so they will prioritise how quickly they need to process your application.

In my case I was one of the first to get a new style badge but left renewal a little late. Luckily my application at head office was fast tracked so I got my new badge delivered on the same day my old one expired.

MI don't think you'll have a problem as you seem to have the backing of at least your doctor.

Let us know how you get on as it helps others build a picture of the whole process.

Good luck.

sorry to butt in but i receive higher rate mobility dla - does this mean i could apply for a blue badge? mind you, when i'm alert enough to drive i should be ok to walk short distances. i can't leave the house at other times, never mind drive a car!!

Quote Originally Posted by floop View Post
    sorry to butt in but i receive higher rate mobility dla - does this mean i could apply for a blue badge? mind you, when i'm alert enough to drive i should be ok to walk short distances. i can't leave the house at other times, never mind drive a car!!
    Yes it does but you don't have to be on HRM to get a BB anyway.

Thanks for replies!
    I have been told my application has been received and is now waiting to be assessed. Apparently the applications currently take around eight weeks which is
    Awful for me as the cold weather means I can hardly walk at all. I have the backing of my doctor and rheumatologist so fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by floop View Post
    ... when i'm alert enough to drive ...
    Don't forget that you can use your BB as the passenger in a car.

hi I am new to the site, to day I went for my assessment for a blue badge and was told no chance but I want to know if I am disabled or not I am a urostomate having lost both bladder and prostate to cancer .
    I have a pouch and at times I can not get near to a disabled toilet and end up sat in a pool of urine in my car .
    I also have Crohn s disease . regards george
    Last edited by george woolley; 01-11-12 at 19:34. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by KirstiRobRob View Post
    ... Apparently the applications currently take around eight weeks ...
    There must still be some regional variations. For complicated reasons, my council and I decided it was better for me to apply for a new BB as a fresh application rather than a renewel. The letter I received today to sign and return with the bits they require, states that it'll be processed and sent out within 7 working days ...