Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Tricycle

anks RaeUK,

I am grateful for the thought. It was stolen from the drive of a house in Solihull, UK, between eight and ten o'clock on Wednesday the 12th of September. It had a blue waterproof cover over it. The thieves took that too!

PS. The police are useless.

Les.

Quote Originally Posted by les686 View Post

PS. The police are useless.

Les.
    WHY???? Because they can't find your scooter that was unsecured and not insured.

Well my last image came out. That takes me back 9 years ago when I was visiting Japan on a holiday around central and western Honshu.

Images - well it's great if you have a bigger image and software to edit down the size of the file. Alternatively send admin an email to downsize image on your behalf.

And RaeUK has made a generous offer. You do need to give more details about where, when and how it was stolen. Maybe leaving it unlocked on your driveway may have been too much of a gift in the hand especially if some kid could just drive off with it.

Have you asked the police if anyone has handed one in as it could have been used to get home then just dumped. I've had bikes just abandoned outside my place and asked the police to collect them.

I live on the side of a hill and there are three stone steps leading up to my front door. When I ordered the trike I had the idea I would be able to pull it up the steps and lock it in the side entrance. The trike does not look very heavy. But this one is fitted with an electric motor and a battery. I could not get it up the steps. A neighbour lifted it up the steps and into the hall way of my house. That was in June and there it stayed, unused, for a couple of months while I applied to the Council for permission to put a lockable bike shelter on the drive way of my house.
    I AM DISTRAUGHT. THIS WAS A MUCH LONGER MAIL. WHEN I WAS DONE I WAS TOLD I HAD TO REFRESH THE PAGE. I DID THAT AND MOST OF IT DISAPPEARED. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO IT?

LES.
    Last edited by les686; 17-10-12 at 14:30.

Yes if you start to write a long post remember that you will probably be 'timed out' - eg logged out automatically by the website.

Ways around it.

1 Take as long as you like typing in your message but don't send it - first highlight your message then copy it. Now if you try to send it that may work but if you were 'timed out' just log in, create a new thread then paste the copied text onto the new thread.

O

Create your message in word then highlight the text and copy. Now you can create a new thread and paste copied text into it

The last alternative to stop being 'timed out' - especialy if you're about to add pictures is to open a second window then log onto yourable The idea being is that you work on one thread BUT click on the second window once a minute and click onto any existing thread - this fools the website into thinking you're being active and won't time you out on your main window thread.

Hope that makes sense.

PS I am now going to practice what I preach by saving this text before pushing the send button!
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 17-10-12 at 14:53.

I live on the side of a hill and there are three stone steps leading up to my
    front door. When I ordered the trike I had the idea I would be able to pull it
    up the steps and lock it in the side entrance. The trike does not look very
    heavy. But this one is fitted with an electric motor and a battery. I could not
    get it up the steps. A neighbour lifted it up the steps and into the hall way of
    my house. That was in June and there it stayed, unused, for a couple of months
    while I applied to the Council for permission to put a lockable bike shelter on
    the drive way of my house. I could see that was the only way the trike could be used easily and securely.

Permission was granted at the end of August and I placed an order for the bike shelter on the same day. It was to be installed in one week - ten days tops. I decided the trike could go out with a cover on it. I was euphoric. I had owned Ernie for so long. I just wanted to sit on him and ride up and down the road After all it was only for a few days and provided all possible safety measures were taken it should have been fine. I padlocked it round the frame and through the wheels so they could not rotate. Whenever it was unattended I removed the saddle and saddle post ( quick release lever ) so anyone who tried to sit on it in the dark would get a nasty shock. I also removed the battery so when it was stolen it was not rideable or driveable. The thief lifted it bodily, cover and all, walked off the drive and put it on a vehicle, a very strong man. It is the only way it could have been moved with the wheels padlocked. I would not call that "a gift in the hand". I often think if the cover had not been on it and all was plain to see the thief might not have bothered at all. It will cost him several hundreds of pounds if he wants to have the motor working again.

No one that knows me considers me lax or neglectful in my use of the tricycle but all agree certain parts of the thieves anatomies should be chopped off. And if we can no longer leave locked items on our driveways for a few days - FOR PETE'S SAKE - what kind of country have we allowed it to become.

Les.

Thieves are getting more devious these days. A friend of mine had her house broken into and they also found her spare car key. They used her car to load all the stolen goods in.

Worse of all over the next three months she kept on spotting her stolen vehicle being driven around town while she was on foot - the police were useless. Eventually the insurance company wrote it off so she coud then replace it.

One of the groups I visit had a 12 seater accessible bus that was stolen outside her house. All the police said was that iyt was probably stolen for it's scrap value.

If you were to decide to replace it I'd certainly sort out your security measures before buying another. Ever considered CCTV and a tracker device fitted to your bike.

One thing is for sure - it'll be kids that nicked it.

I know what you mean about grieving for your bike. Have you got it insured? our bikes are covered by our contents insurance & when mine was 'nicked' I was able to get a replacement.
    Electric bikes of all descriptions are brilliant, so much better than a scooter or chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    - the police were useless.
    That's right. They're so useless they get themselves shot attending fake burglaries.

To wobble1, the man who does not say anything helpful.

I was devastated when I read about this - of course I was. But the operative word here is "Useless". Can you tell me what use it was?

Les.