Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLA and change of circumstances

DLA and change of circumstances

My son (20) recieves dla at the higher rate . He has a long term eating disorder,anorexia and he ended up in hospital in a wheelchair.However at the moment ( i hardly dare say it!)he is doing quite well and he is back at home .His award is until the end of 2013.
    My questions are what usually happens when it gets near the renewal date -ie will he have to go for medical exam etc and if his condition keeps improving and we have to inform dwp of change of circumstance what is the best way to do this and will it involve form filling or examinations?

they will send form to fill again then might decide he needs medical. for changes you can phone or write to them but i wouldnd do that too soon he might be bit better now but who knows whats round the corner

The benefit DLA will no longer exist after April 2013.

In February 2013 the DWP will write to all people in receipt of DLA saying that no new claims can be made for DLA after April 2013 as it is being replaced by a new disability benefit called PIP. The letter will explain that everyone will be reassessed before March 2016.

In your sons case they will write to him saying his DLA is stopping in say December 2013 and they will invite him to apply for PIP nearer the time.

If your son presently has a Motability lease hire car he will only be able to keep it if he is awarded the enhanced mobility component of PIP

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by foxyone View Post
    My son (20) recieves dla at the higher rate . He has a long term eating disorder,anorexia and he ended up in hospital in a wheelchair.However at the moment ( i hardly dare say it!)he is doing quite well and he is back at home .His award is until the end of 2013.
    My questions are what usually happens when it gets near the renewal date -ie will he have to go for medical exam etc and if his condition keeps improving and we have to inform dwp of change of circumstance what is the best way to do this and will it involve form filling or examinations?
    did you tell dla unit when he went into hospital and the fact he is now out ? they are both happenings that in many cases they need to be told of ? also you say he is doing well at present have you spoke with his drs to see if this needs reporting to dla unit..... I would get expert advise as the fact he is doing well at present will be in his records and when or if the dla get copies of this information for renewal they might ask why they where not told ... its a mine field

with regards re-newing if the move to pip is running on time ????????? you might get paperwork asking you to apply for pip if things go pearshape you could end up getting dla paperwork again....... many people going for pip will need a medical like esa

I would start with CAB or a hospital welfare staff as you might want there advise as to when tell dla, as slipmaster says too early is not a good idea but too late can lead to them claiming back overpayment based on medical records as to time in hospital ect ect

good luck

Thanks for your replies guys
    I am beginning to think this may turn into a nightmare!
    He was told to claim for DLA and ESA and helped to do so by the hospital welfare team when he was actually in there.Of course he did'nt get any DLA until he came out of hospital
    Since then me and the wife have looked after him and he is getting himself back on track-hopefully for good -as this has been going on for over 4 years
    I just want to do the right thing but of course in these situations its not obvious what that is!
    We have just had to send off a form to atos to reclaim Esa
    May I just state that prior to this he never got any benefits at all
    Any further advice appreciated altough not too keen on cab option

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by foxyone View Post
    Thanks for your replies guys
    I am beginning to think this may turn into a nightmare!
    He was told to claim for DLA and ESA and helped to do so by the hospital welfare team when he was actually in there.Of course he did'nt get any DLA until he came out of hospital
    Since then me and the wife have looked after him and he is getting himself back on track-hopefully for good -as this has been going on for over 4 years
    I just want to do the right thing but of course in these situations its not obvious what that is!
    We have just had to send off a form to atos to reclaim Esa
    May I just state that prior to this he never got any benefits at all
    Any further advice appreciated altough not too keen on cab option
    If not CAB will the hospital team not help again ?

well he will be re-assessed for esa now youve sent the form back so the decision will be in their hands as for the dla wait till you hear from esa see what the decision is then re-evaluate the circumstances

I suppose thats a plan thanks slipmaster-how long do they usually take?-its been 3 weeks already

its a how long is a piece of string question could be 3 weeks or 3 months or longer they have so much to do

Quote Originally Posted by slipmaster View Post
    well he will be re-assessed for esa now youve sent the form back so the decision will be in their hands as for the dla wait till you hear from esa see what the decision is then re-evaluate the circumstances
    No sure that is the best plan. Based on what Davewhit said about payments being reclaimed. . ESA is work capability test, DLA is for care needs and is there not a difference between the the ESA and DLA mobility qualifier.

Is the deciding factor not more likely to be whether the care needs are the same as they were when the DLA is applied for? Bearing in mind the time factor?