Thread: SkyGo and the suchlike ...

SkyGo and the suchlike ...

... if, indeed, there is a suchlike.

About a year ago, might have been longer I wasn't paying much attention, I chucked out my old tv as I realised I hadn't switched it on for over a year. (You could only operate it with a pair of tweezers anyway, but that's by the by).
    I make do - quite well I think - with BBC iPlayer, 4od and sometimes itvplayer. And Youtube, of course. I'm thoroughly modern, me.
    I'm due to replace my old coal burning pc in a month or two and intend to get a snazzy laptop with a 17" screen, a couple of whistles and a bell. (Feel free to recommend anything you think might be a good deal). The idea is that the screen is large enough for watching stuff and I can lug the thing over to a footstool, park my derriere on my plush sofa and relax, rather than be at my desk all the time. Or watch a film in bed before toddling off to the land of nod.
    I certainly don't envisage ever buying a tv again as I don't see the point in them nowadays.
    Having just stumbled across SkyGo, which allows me to buy into the Sky lifestyle without the need for an old fashioned tv and satellite dish, I find myself humming and hahing (?) over whether it's a good idea or not. It seems a tadge pricey - £15 to £40 per month depending on your inclinations - but maybe I'm a week or two behind the times and this is the going rate for such things. I understand Sky is quite a popular purveyor of televisual treats, entertainments and pastimes. What do people tend to pay per month?
    And, of course, are there other suppliers offering a competitive service? I'm not interested in these bizarre streaming sites whose links occasionaly slip through one of my inboxes or another. I'm quite happy to pay a reasonable sum for a reasonable service...

mines 80 quid a month...films and 2 football channels and sky sports,im stopping mine as soon as contract runs out and getting love films £5 per month

WOW I wish I could afford to spend £80 pmonth. What on earth is on sky that's worth that amount of money, we spend that on food!
    We use free-sat, we haven't a terrestrial TV signal anyway so need a dish to pick up anything. I cost a one-off £50.

hi tinker...it does sound rather extravaganze but i spend most of my life lying down...got sky sports ,mutv,espn and films etc ....i didnt know it was so high and thanks to your posting im trying to get a breakdown of what im paying for...money is tight and with possible changes in my future income im trying hard to make life easier finacially....best wishes to you and i hope youve got better weather than i have

hi raeuk

skygo is free for sky costumers.
    i have most of sky appart from sky sports channels (i dont watch sports)
    while i dont know the prices for skygo on its own, im guessing you have looked at it, and if the prices you have posted above are correct then its a really bad deal.
    with skygo you only get sky channels, like sky 1, atlantic, living, sky news, they now have kids channels, movies and sports as well, but you wont get channels like bbc or itv, neither will you get documentaries on skygo.

full sky + movies without the sports package costs me £54 per month.

hope this helps

Thanks all, very helpful.

The prices are Sky Entertainment - £15, that plus Sky Movies - £32, Entertainment and Sport - £35, all of them £40.
    I'm presuming the prices are ok in so much as I don't have or want a tv.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    WOW I wish I could afford to spend £80 pmonth. What on earth is on sky that's worth that amount of money, we spend that on food!
    We use free-sat, we haven't a terrestrial TV signal anyway so need a dish to pick up anything. I cost a one-off £50.
    Affording apart, I certainly wouldn't spend anything over the licence fee on TV. Freesat should be more than adequate if you can't get terrestrial and don't mind adverts, or seeing Auntie repeat the same programme umpteen times.
    Join the library; read a book!