Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford C-Max or Grand C-Max - which to choose?

Ford C-Max or Grand C-Max - which to choose?

I am due to change my car on the Motability scheme and can order a new one now. After looking at a lot of vehicles, I am more or less narrowed down to the Ford C-Max or Grand C-Max . As I need an automatic I am looking at the Titanium Powershift 2.0 TD Diesels.

I have managed to have an extended two day test drive in the standard C-Max Powershift, but the dealer cannot get hold of a Grand C-Max Powershift for me to even have a short test drive in. They have not even got one in their showroom for me to even sit in.

I am somewhat loathe to order one 'blind' as it were but I do think the extra room of the Grand C-Max would come in handy. Thus I am minded to order the Grand C-Max as the dealer states it is almost identical in handling and kit wise as the standard C-Max. Can anyone here verify this if they have driven both?

On the subject of fitted kit, I would have liked to ordered a Titanium X model but it seems not to be available on the scheme. I am thinking of ordering a few options though, such as the Titanium Family Pack mainly for the powered tailgate and 230v inverter socket, the Titanium X Pack for the heated seats and panorama roof etc and the Appearance Pack for the privacy glass etc.

I am not sure about the 'Active Park Assist' as part of the Convenience pack though. Is the 'Active Park Assist' actually of any value as I have heard it will only work if the parking space is big enough to get two articulated lorries in, and only works with nearside parallel parking, not reversing into bays like are found on most car parks etc, nor during offside parallel parking as often found on one way streets etc. Can anyone who has used it confirm this?

Anyway, I am tempted to order the car this coming week as I feel they may go up in price in the next quarter.

Thanks for any input.

Ian

littlebib
    typical ford dealer. never have the car u want to drive

I think I may be the best person here to help (see my sig)

I have the pleasure of driving a CMax Titanium Powershift.

I too would have liked the greater room in the Grand - and they do drive exactly the same, but due to budget I couldn't afford one with the options I wanted.

I went for Privacy Glass and the Convenience Pack, and haggled them down from around £600 to just under £400. So the total I paid was a smidge under £2k (£1595AP + £400)

The Active Park Assist is actually pretty good, it can be used on both offside and nearside parallel parking but can't 90deg park. I don't get much chance to use it up here as I have a driveway, but whenever I visit my in-laws in London (which is a lot) I use it all the time - and it's definitely beneficial when parking next to high kerbs. I've managed to park in a space just 6" longer than the car, so it does work!
    The main reason for getting the pack was the electric mirrors - as I do use that feature a lot down the narrow roads where I live.

I would have loved the Titanium X pack for the heated seats but to be fair the seats are very comfy - my wife has just driven 1000 miles in a week and didn't complain once - I just couldn't justify the extra £2k.

If you live around here, I'll happily come and let you have a play.

If you've already driven the CMax, I wouldn't worry about buying blind, it really isn't that much different.

Perhaps you should join the free owners forum if you'd like to ask more specific questions - http://www.cmaxownersclub.co.uk/forum/#a-2010-c-max (I'm Pauliboo on there).
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

littlebib
    both nice cars

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I think I may be the best person here to help (see my sig)

I have the pleasure of driving a CMax Titanium Powershift.

I too would have liked the greater room in the Grand - and they do drive exactly the same, but due to budget I couldn't afford one with the options I wanted.

I went for Privacy Glass and the Convenience Pack, and haggled them down from around £600 to just under £400. So the total I paid was a smidge under £2k (£1595AP + £400)

The Active Park Assist is actually pretty good, it can be used on both offside and nearside parallel parking but can't 90deg park. I don't get much chance to use it up here as I have a driveway, but whenever I visit my in-laws in London (which is a lot) I use it all the time - and it's definitely beneficial when parking next to high kerbs. I've managed to park in a space just 6" longer than the car, so it does work!
    The main reason for getting the pack was the electric mirrors - as I do use that feature a lot down the narrow roads where I live.

I would have loved the Titanium X pack for the heated seats but to be fair the seats are very comfy - my wife has just driven 1000 miles in a week and didn't complain once - I just couldn't justify the extra £2k.

If you live around here, I'll happily come and let you have a play.

If you've already driven the CMax, I wouldn't worry about buying blind, it really isn't that much different.

Perhaps you should join the free owners forum if you'd like to ask more specific questions - http://www.cmaxownersclub.co.uk/forum/#a-2010-c-max (I'm Pauliboo on there).

Thank you for your detailed reply Paul, it is much appreciated. Incidentally I am already registered with the C-Max owners club forum but have only lurked, preferring to read others information.

After your detailed reply I am now more or less certain it will be the Grand C-Max 2.0 Diesel Powershift I will opt for. The Advance Payment isn't too expensive on the basic vehicle but I will have to go rather heavy on the options list. It is a shame some options are not available as stand alone options as opposed to being part of a 'pack'. For example I will need the powered tailgate but can only 'spec' it as part of the 'Family Pack' with things I really do not really need (but are just nice 'to have's). The same with the heated seating being part of the 'Titanium X' pack which again I shall have to spec along with the Appearance Pack and after reading your appraisal of the park assist system, the 'Convenience Plus' pack (thus spending in fact a lot more on options than the actual Advance Payment!).

Anyway thanks for all your help.

Ian

Not a problem, I hope yopu enjoy the car.

I've had mine for nearly 4 months now, and that time has flown by with no complaints - I'm up to 5800 miles now, on target for 15,000 this year.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

You've done really well to get an extended 2 day test drive, when I wanted to try the cmax out they would only allow me a 15 minute test drive with the adviser at the side of me

littlebib
    15 minuites is the norm

When I test drove the qashqai they let me have it for 4 hours, like they said if your going to have a car for 3 years you need to make sure it's right

littlebib
    twice i have hired a car for the weekend at my own cost to make sure i was happy before buying