Thread: Please help ESA home visit

Please help ESA home visit

Hi I have been told that a Doctor is coming to see me at home next week for an esa medical assessment, I am really concerned can anyone tell me what to expect. I have been on Incapacity benefit & dla since 2003.

I don't have experience of home visits so can only tell you very general things. In the first instance, it is not a medical, it is a Work Capability Assessment to assess, not surprisingly, your capability for work. It may or may not be a doctor that makes the visit and conducts the assessment. It might be a nurse. That said, from what I've read elsewhere, home visits are not the easiest of things for ATOSH to agree to so perhaps that's a plus already.
    They will ask you some set questions. Often I see people complaining about them and saying how silly they are or how stupid. The questions are neither. They are very cleverly designed to allow the answers given to be extrapolated. For example, a common one is 'Do you watch Eastenders?' (or they may name another programme). An answer of 'Yes' is what they are looking for. Nothing else needs to be asked as you've just told the assessor that you can remain seated for 30 minutes without discomfort. Another is 'Do you have a dog?' From a simple 'Yes' answer is drawn the assumption you are fit and well enough not only to care for the dog but also to exercise it and take it for walks etc. Most of the questions are designed for a yes or no answer.
    Have a read through the Consumer Action Group's Benefit Forum for more information. It can be found here.

Just make sure you have someone with you as a witness.

Thank you Raeuk for your advice I will read on.........I think im already in trouble there are two dogs couldnt walk either of them, but will take note of how questions are asked Many thanks

I am intending to have my sister to act as an advocate, take notes etc, I will update when it happens, thank goodness for forums like this, it really does help.

vikstar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xworried View Post
    Hi I have been told that a Doctor is coming to see me at home next week for an esa medical assessment, I am really concerned can anyone tell me what to expect. I have been on Incapacity benefit & dla since 2003.
    You are indeed "one of the few" in managing to secure a "home" ESA assessment. This fact alone should place you in a more favourable position, as ATOS are most reluctant to carry out "home " ESA assessments. Therefore, one would assume that they feel that your "Limited Capabilities" warrant this.

As far as I am aware, ATOS do not use the actual LiMa software, as they would at an ATOS Medical Centre, it will be hand written. As others have advised, try to have someone else present who can take notes, RaeUK has also given some useful pointers.

You could of course make a covert audio recording, this is perfectly legal, however BE WARNED, if you do this and the ATOS medic becomes aware of it, they will stop the assessment.
    Last edited by vikstar; 23-09-12 at 20:02.