Many people who are disabled use a caravan for getaways as it is more convenient than using a hotel or B & B. In my case overseas travel would be very difficult. Unfortunately Motability have cut the number of suitable automatic vehicles that can safely tow a large caravan down to almost nil.
The maximum weight of our caravan which is a twin axle is 1800kg, but there are no suitable automatics 4 x 4s up to the job on Motability. Also due to the new restrictions on buying on HP has now placed these vehicles out of our reach.
It is highly unlikely you will find a decent 4 x 4 vehicle for under £16,000 from a Motability dealer that will tow a caravan weighing 1800kgs. I feel almost as if we are now being penalised.
We are on Pension credit with DLA for myself and lower DLA for my wife plus we have two very small occupational pensions. We have good to excellent credit rating, but all the suitable vehicles that are affordable to us, i.e. '56 Jeep Grand Cherokee @ £10,000 is from a non motability dealer which takes us out of the equation as lenders do not want to lend to retired people even though you have a good credit rating. Ideally we would like a Land Cruiser, but we cannot afford that.
We do not want to buy one of the unknown vehicles to us like a Kia or Hyundai as we are concerned about reliability issues as we will be wanting to keep the vehicle as long as possible. In addition as we live in a rural village transportation is essential especially in winter.
Can any one advise us on a way forward as we would like to put my mobility allowance towards a purchase where we will see some return after several years? Thanks.