Thread: Cures around the corner - I think they call this false hope

Cures around the corner - I think they call this false hope

The question is do we live in hope of a cure around the corner or accept the way we are and get on with our lives.

My long term view has to accept the way I am - but not so with many people.

I remember the press reporting about PC Olds who stumbled upon an armed post office robbery. He got shot and became paralyzed from the waist down. The Daily Mail had a hero who they were going to fund and get him to walk again - great publicity and a money spinner. The paper built his hopes up. He was flown to America and had the very best treatment available taking photos of him in a standing position - it was short lived. Within weeks of returning home he committed suicide as he learnt that he could never walk again.

Remember Superman - he broke his neck - our first super crip who was also going to walk again. He poured loads of money and fund raised for medical advancements in a cure for spinal cord damage. As you know despite all his millions he never improved.

When I broke my neck aged 19 people wanted to give me hope by saying a cure is just around the corner. I think it probably took me about 5 years to come to terms with who I became.. I was lucky as I had a job working as a junior commercial artist in my late teens - and one I enjoyed. Despite my impairment I was able to hold down a job through two recessions and buy my own home.

IMy secret was never to get bitter with what had happened to me. I accepted the way I was ad wasn't hoping for any cures - that would be a waste of time and energy.

Now, 36 years later, there's still no cure around the corner.

The sooner you accept the way you are the happier your outlook. I actually found new friends, new hobbies and new ways of thinking which I think made me a better person.

So don't hold out for miracle cures - be happy.

The thing is that new developments in bio-mechanical devices such as the stance control kafo for polio or stroke punters seems to be the way forward.Indeed anything that is a practical aid to mobility or aiding any of the senses that are impaired is the best option.Magic pills or injections are as you rightly imply, a fantasy.

Good advice........ but subjective.
    Hope for many is the only thing that keeps them going, dealing with a physical disability is different to a medical illness or mental health issue.
    It tends to depend on the amount of daily suffering.

doberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    The question is do we live in hope of a cure around the corner or accept the way we are and get on with our lives.

My long term view has to accept the way I am - but not so with many people.

I remember the press reporting about PC Olds who stumbled upon an armed post office robbery. He got shot and became paralyzed from the waist down. The Daily Mail had a hero who they were going to fund and get him to walk again - great publicity and a money spinner. The paper built his hopes up. He was flown to America and had the very best treatment available taking photos of him in a standing position - it was short lived. Within weeks of returning home he committed suicide as he learnt that he could never walk again.

Remember Superman - he broke his neck - our first super crip who was also going to walk again. He poured loads of money and fund raised for medical advancements in a cure for spinal cord damage. As you know despite all his millions he never improved.

When I broke my neck aged 19 people wanted to give me hope by saying a cure is just around the corner. I think it probably took me about 5 years to come to terms with who I became.. I was lucky as I had a job working as a junior commercial artist in my late teens - and one I enjoyed. Despite my impairment I was able to hold down a job through two recessions and buy my own home.

IMy secret was never to get bitter with what had happened to me. I accepted the way I was ad wasn't hoping for any cures - that would be a waste of time and energy.

Now, 36 years later, there's still no cure around the corner.

The sooner you accept the way you are the happier your outlook. I actually found new friends, new hobbies and new ways of thinking which I think made me a better person.

So don't hold out for miracle cures - be happy.
    Such good advice that we should all take on board.

Mind you, you seemed to have missed out on those that relish in having a bit of a disability - they start looking to see what money they can get because of it in the form of benefits or 'compo'.

When is a disability not a disability? When the DWP turn down a claim for ESA/DLA/AA!