Thread: hi would love advice

hi would love advice

been year since i worked as i have severe progressive arthritis to left knee and leg ,,im awaiting operation so as self employed i was laid of no money just told not fit for work ,i was told by the employer he was paying my stamp for natoinal contributions ,,so all was okay i thought but he didnt pay this as my wife was working work fulltime and has good job it was okay but i thought id be entitled to claim as maybe they ould find me a partime job that siuted me but jobcentre said no as unable to so they said i had to claim disability so i took advice got all forms medical notes and etc and was refused as no points so decided try for work even though im 50 and to be honest dont feel i got much to offer as my knee is very stiff and i use a stick ,,but im not worring about that i thought i try jobseekers allowance and look to see what they is for me as im willing to have a go but its been a year since ive had any money of my own and relaint on my wife who has now left me because of all the pressure and i havent got any income at all even jobseekers allowance has said because ii have not got enough national insurance contributions i dont qualify that was today so i dont know what to do now ,my wife said shed pay morgage but i have to entitled to something for myself????CAN ANY ONE HELP ME could i cliam income support i have nothing no savings because we have lived of them for year what little we had .

Quote Originally Posted by steve50 View Post
    been year since i worked as i have severe progressive arthritis to left knee and leg ,,im awaiting operation so as self employed i was laid of no money just told not fit for work ,i was told by the employer he was paying my stamp for natoinal contributions ,,so all was okay i thought but he didnt pay this as my wife was working work fulltime and has good job it was okay but i thought id be entitled to claim as maybe they ould find me a partime job that siuted me but jobcentre said no as unable to so they said i had to claim disability so i took advice got all forms medical notes and etc and was refused as no points so decided try for work even though im 50 and to be honest dont feel i got much to offer as my knee is very stiff and i use a stick ,,but im not worring about that i thought i try jobseekers allowance and look to see what they is for me as im willing to have a go but its been a year since ive had any money of my own and relaint on my wife who has now left me because of all the pressure and i havent got any income at all even jobseekers allowance has said because ii have not got enough national insurance contributions i dont qualify that was today so i dont know what to do now ,my wife said shed pay morgage but i have to entitled to something for myself????CAN ANY ONE HELP ME could i cliam income support i have nothing no savings because we have lived of them for year what little we had .
    Not having enough NI contributions doesn't mean you can't claim JSA, nor does the situation with your leg, although JC may say you are not fit to claim JSA but if you have scored 0 points JC must accept you fit. The only other issues may be residence status, or capital assets, otherwise I can't see why you can't claim income related JSA.
    Having said that I'm not sure how much more you would get on JSA than IS.
    You really need to go to a CAB or similar for them to go through all your situation.

Sounds like a dreadful situation.

It seems to me that the reason you aren't getting any benefit is because
    - you initially had too much savings
    - you are being assessed as still being a couple - which you aren't

You should be able to reclaim income related ESA if you tell the jobcentreplus that you and your wife have seperated.

About work . .. .
    Maybe at 50 with a bad leg you can no longer do the job you did. Now is the time to think what you can do. DIY stores like B&Q like to take on more mature staff.
    Look into retraining - one thing you do have are life experiences - put them to use.
    Don't be the victim - think of this as a new challenge - think positive and change your luck.

thankyou ive phoned them booked apointment for tmrw at incomesupport

Quote Originally Posted by steve50 View Post
    thankyou ive phoned them booked apointment for tmrw at incomesupport
    You can claim Income Based JSA if looking for work. This is a means tested version of JSA. So if you have no works or private pension income and no savings over £6,000 you should get that benefit at £71 a week plus full council tax rebate. Thirteen weeks after claiming JSA, you then get help with mortgage interest via the JSA office.

Income Support is not an option as that is for lone parents or those getting Carers Allowance. If you can not work, then Income Based Employment Support Allowance can be claimed.