Thread: BINGO - the secret's out - buying your motability car

BINGO - the secret's out - buying your motability car

Well if you ever wondered how Motability decide how much your car is worth if you want to buy it off them - I've just found out!

They use the Glasses Guide.

Ina recent letter to me Motability sent me a quote asking £4200 for my near 5 year old car.

Here are the figures quoted in the guide. http://priceanycar.com/glasses-price-guide

At a dealer, expect to pay between £3,700 and £5,350
    and aim to pay £4,200.

From a private seller, expect to pay between £3,200 and £4,750
    and aim to pay £3,650.

If selling in part exchange, expect to receive £2,900.

............... so they base the quote upon the dealers 'aimed cost' and you'll get a one year warrantee too plus a 'good condition' bonus two weeks later of between £250-£450 depending on whether it was a standard three year lease or 5 year lease

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Well if you ever wondered how Motability decide how much your car is worth if you want to buy it off them - I've just found out!

Ina recent letter to me Motability sent me a quote asking £4200 for my near 5 year old car.

Here are the figures quoted in the guide. http://priceanycar.com/glasses-price-guide

and aim to pay £4,200.

and aim to pay £3,650.

............... so they base the quote upon the dealers 'aimed cost' and you'll get a one year warrantee too plus a 'good condition' bonus two weeks later of between £250-£450 depending on whether it was a standard three year lease or 5 year lease
    I would expect them to use something like Glasses as its a good place to get market prices and would be a fair price.too

There is nothing to stop you haggling and making a lower offer as they might take it, because if they dont sell it to you it would end up in auction or the dealer would offer them the trade price for it.

You could do a deal with the dealer tell him to buy it off them at £2,900 and you will give him £3,600 he gets instant £700 profit no work and you save £500

Well in the paperwork Motability sent me they said the purchase price isn't negotiable. I phoned to double check and that's the case.

I asked if the dealer would pay as much and she said it would depend on the mileage and condition report. Higher mileage cars go to auction.

I don't think trying to get a deal with the garage would work as their aim is to make profit. Even if they said I could have it for a few hundred less there's nothing to stop them pretending someone else is interested just to get you to raise the offer.

At present there's only me that can buy it - no competition - at least I'll know its history and reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post

and aim to pay £4,200.

and aim to pay £3,650.

While maybe useful but I don't think one case is proof of the pricing model. If they had said £5000 you would have found some price guide which had the figure £5000 included, if five or six cases show this figure then I may believe it more. Even using this guide Motability are asking for near top retail which is what I thought. They won't discount.

Even so it gives us all a loose guide to what we'll have to pay if deciding to buy at end of lease. I can at least plan to put aside an amount to cover this cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Even so it gives us all a loose guide to what we'll have to pay if deciding to buy at end of lease. I can at least plan to put aside an amount to cover this cost.
    Any guide will you a loose idea, I was commenting on the op suggesting this is the actual guide motability use, maybe so but I'd think more than one case was needed as a definite answer.

Oh yes, I wasn't disputing your facts. For statistically accurate purposes it's better to have more than one record set.

I forgot to ask for a price when I got rid of the Qashqai, but maybe if we all ask we can (in the future) guess this a little more accurately.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

littlebib
    i think they use CAP guide?

Quote Originally Posted by littlebib View Post
    i think they use CAP guide?
    Do you have any reasoning for this or just the need to post a pointless comment on EVERY thread?

littlebib
    they do ue the CAP guide