Thread: Is this normal?

antimonium

Is this normal?

I have recently become unwell with various physical ailments and so applied to income support for help.My partner receives this benefit already.The application went in 6 weeks ago. We have contacted inc supp regularly over the past few weeks. From week 3 to 5 the application was at a "processing centre". Inc supp said they had no contact with this place and we would have to wait till the claim was sent back to inc supp to deal with. Phoned them twice this week and they say that though the claim has now been received back in their office a system error has occurred and they still are unable to process it because, and i quote, "the system wont allow us to join your (my) claim to your partners'". They are, they say, trying to sort it out. They dont know how long it will take. i dont suppose there is anything i can do about this but any but just writing it here helps. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by antimonium View Post
    I have recently become unwell with various physical ailments and so applied to income support for help.My partner receives this benefit already.The application went in 6 weeks ago. We have contacted inc supp regularly over the past few weeks. From week 3 to 5 the application was at a "processing centre". Inc supp said they had no contact with this place and we would have to wait till the claim was sent back to inc supp to deal with. Phoned them twice this week and they say that though the claim has now been received back in their office a system error has occurred and they still are unable to process it because, and i quote, "the system wont allow us to join your (my) claim to your partners'". They are, they say, trying to sort it out. They dont know how long it will take. i dont suppose there is anything i can do about this but any but just writing it here helps. Thanks.
    If your partner already gets income support, then you are assessed as a couple. Only one of you can claim as it is a joint claim.

its normal for any type of claim to take a long time to be processed. a system error im not sure how often that happens. but as ducan said youl be assessed as a couple, only one person can claim in the couple. fair or not, probably not, but thats the current system. your disabilkity employment advisor can give you more info and explain it to you, and an advocacy agency can help too. i think everything like that is means tested. as i live with my parents and could not claim untill my dad retired, because its means tested. hope this helps, hope you find the info you need, and that its processed soon. good luck