Thread: Im petrified about Universal Credit

Im petrified about Universal Credit

I seen to spend all day reading up about Universal Credit and all I seem to find are horror stories. Has anyone been migrated to UC without any problem I suppose we only hear about horror stories cause that makes better news

Hi Stuey, I can certainly relate to your concerns, but you have hit the nail on the head!

It really is only those horror stories that we do hear and read about. If you think that there are, I think from last reading & figures given, somewhere around 1 million people or more already on UC, then it would appear that majority have claimed UC without any hiccups or serious errors in claiming!

I guarantee, you are not alone. I used to be worried, concerned and also anxious at some of the stories and problems in claiming etc. However, from reading members posts on here and couple of other websites, my concerns and worries have been somewhat allayed due to the advice given by those more knowledgable on subject.

As I posted earlier, our circumstances are not due to and are unlikely to change & therefore will just sit back and wait to be invited to be 'naturally migrated' onto UC. This, as it currently stands from my readings will take years & dependent upon your age, it is likely many will be on state pension before migrating!

I have some idea as to how UC (as it currently stands) will affect us & which payments are outside of UC. As some members have already posted, there are a few matters that are still being looked at which will should make it easier when majority are migrated.

The biggest hurdle and main complaint about UC I have read about, is that when we are invited to migrate is that it is (currently) up to us to make the claim, whereas when we were transferred from IB to ESA and from DLA to PIP, we actually had some help! I would imagine that many of us in our situations and having to have completed many benefit application forms that UC will be no different, especially if our circumstances dont't change. The only real difference will be that this will have to be done online. Don't forget, there are other problems that DWP need to iron out also.

Again, having been where you are, I really wouldn't worry about it, not just yet anyway. Do you remember all the hoohah over ESA and PIP & when 'govt' said that we will all be transferred by a certain year?! Well, those dates never worked and there is no way that UC timetable will be able to stick to its current estimate. Don't forget, ESA & PIP were single benefit changes...UC has to handle 6 (six) (that's me being sarcastic towards DWP). Try not to worry about it too much. As long as your payments are going into your account when they should be and amounts are correct, that's all we need to worry about.

Please, try and take it easy, and as ever like today, if you hear anything that worries you that may concern you, then get on here and I know somebody will be able to help and put your mind at ease. Let's hope 2019 is a less stressful & anxious new year!

horror stories mostly created because of the gap to first payment, and the SDP issue. The charities have made a LOT of noise on these single 2 issues, which has kind of distorted the reality a bit.

i have stated before i moved from ESA/SG to UC/LWCRA and im £90 a month beter off , yes UC is a different system but not as bad or better than ESA.
    i am also confident we can leave the EU on WTO rules.

Yes druid but hows that gonna effect your council tax as your getting more in benefits I would presume youll pay more CT.
    I dont know how you get on with CT?