Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severe disability premium

Severe disability premium

hi all
    im currently getting high level rate esa and middle rate dla for mental health problems
    ive just spit with my partner and am looking for a new place to live what i need to know is if im living alone do i get a Severe disability premium (as i need care throughtout the day due to harm to my self/others) ive seen on other sites it's around £58 a week also as i'm on dla do i get the 1 bed housing rate (as im under 35)
    any help/anwsers apperacted
    thanks

I'm not sure what "high level ESA" is, do you mean support group.
    You may be entitled to SDP as you are on DLA MRC but I think SDP is due to be scrapped soon.
    You are correct about housing.

Providing you don't exceed the savings and capital limit for Income Support, and no-one claims Carers Allowance for looking after you, you should make a claim, and it should include the premium.
    The one bedroom HB rate will apply unless you need an extra room for a carer.

The one bedroom rule only applies to council and social housing. Private tenants are not affected.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    I'm not sure what "high level ESA" is, do you mean support group.
    You may be entitled to SDP as you are on DLA MRC but I think SDP is due to be scrapped soon.
    You are correct about housing.
    yes i ment the support group
    so the sdp is to be scraped? when is this going to happen? as i would need the extra money to pay top up on rent
    is there a restiction/limt on the number of bedrooms in a house that i can apply for as ive seen 3-4 bed houses that i can afford but not up on ''the rules'' of what is allowed/acceptable
    Last edited by kris6976; 29-08-12 at 16:03.

Quote Originally Posted by kris6976 View Post
    yes i ment the support group
    so the sdp is to be scraped? when is this going to happen? as i would need the extra money to pay top up on rent
    is there a restiction/limt on the number of bedrooms in a house that i can apply for as ive seen 3-4 bed houses that i can afford but not up on ''the rules'' of what is allowed/acceptable
    No date has been given.
    Depends on council but as a rule there are strict restrictions regarding the size of property and occupancy with their own properties. These don't apply so strictly to private renting but if you are claiming HB then they will.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    No date has been given.
    Depends on council but as a rule there are strict restrictions regarding the size of property and occupancy with their own properties. These don't apply so strictly to private renting but if you are claiming HB then they will.
    so what problems would i be faceing if i were to rent a 3 bed house? see this is what gets me i can get a 3-4 bed property
    out in the countyside far cheaper than i could get a tiny 1 bed house in a town (im wanting a rural/county/isolated place as i dont socialilze well and have problems with being around people)

Quote Originally Posted by MUD View Post
    would not the council ask why you need a 3 bed house in an isolated area for yourself ?
    dont know? what im saying is why should i have to live in a tiny house/flat in a town/city when i can rent a bigger rural house a lot cheaper and be somewhere were i'd be happy i suffer from paranoid schizophrenia/sever deppision/anti socal disorder and find it hard to deal with people or be around people

Quote Originally Posted by Cornwall View Post
    The one bedroom rule only applies to council and social housing. Private tenants are not affected.
    Other way around. Private tenants are subject to the Local Housing Allowance where the rent can be restricted if renting a place with more bedrooms than they need.

Quote Originally Posted by kris6976 View Post
    so what problems would i be faceing if i were to rent a 3 bed house? see this is what gets me i can get a 3-4 bed property
    out in the countyside far cheaper than i could get a tiny 1 bed house in a town (im wanting a rural/county/isolated place as i dont socialilze well and have problems with being around people)
    Check what the Local Housing Allowance is first by asking at the Council Office where you want to move to or check the Council website. You might be restricted to the one bedroom rate of local housing allowance.