Thread: Water rates issue...

Exclamation Water rates issue...

Hello there - just wondering if anyone has experience of moving into a council property that has weekly water rates. I've only ever had a private water meter, and low bills. Now I'm being asked to pay a set annual amount that is over a hundred pounds more than I normally pay. Is that legal, or can I request my own meter? Any advice would be appreciated.

Is the water included as a 'Service Charge' with your rent?
    Many councils/Housing Authority's do it that way.

Is it specified as part of your tenancy agreement, or can you opt out of it and pay your own water?
    Talk to your rental officer, they may be quite happy for you to get your own meter.

Whether it is legal or not depends on their agreement with the water company.

The council/HA may be 'Water Reseller', and if they are then they should not make a profit out of reselling the water to you.

Or they may simply be a collection agent, passing on and collecting the charge for the water company.

It all depends on just what arrangement they have with the water company.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43386900

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...u-re-a-tenant/
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

My friend lives in a council house and she has had a water metre fitted and she finds it much cheaper

Thanks for your detailed reply. It appears to be included in the rent, but I was told that HB will exclude it, hence I will have to pay for water and heating which is also excessive compared to what I pay now. I am awaiting a reply from the council, as I would rather keep my bills separate from rent. Thanks for the links, but the CAB one didn't work, and I was aware from online searching about Southwark...

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it would be when you consider the 'one size fits all' approach taken by the council. Do you know if she has to pay the heating charge?

Her heating isn't included in her rent

OK- thanks for your help.

I managed to speak to the estate manager, he confirmed that there were no water meters, but couldn't tell me if I could opt in or out. Do you think that the council office that hold the lease would know? Regards

The estate manager should know about things like that, it's part of the job.

I suggest that you make a written request to your Housing Association/council asking to opt-out of the 'standing' water charge and get a meter fitted.

At least that should get you a written answer from someone who knows.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you, the water company has no issue with it and stated that they'd install a meter after 6 month period. I'll try the council directly - thanks for the writing tip too.