Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our ESA Journey

Our ESA Journey

Just want to post how elated I am to learn my husband has had a paper based assessment and awarded Support Group. However, I was told on the phone today they reached the wrong decision initially (not that we were ever told this), and further evidence arrived with CHDA on 3rd Nov which prompted a change in decision. Let me explain our journey if interested!!!

ESA50 sent 15th October 2018 by Special Delivery
    ESA50 Received signed for at Sorting Office 16th Oct
    Received letter from DWP saying they had not received the ESA50 on 30th Oct 2018.
    Called DWP who said it was only input/scanned into their system on 31st Oct and that in fact they do have it!
    Researched in depth the DMG Handbook relating to sight loss and corresponding Legal Memos relating to Upper Tribunal Case wins. In this instance DMG Memo 7/14. I sent a copy of DMG Memo 7/14 Special Delivery as evidence on 1st Nov 2018 which appears to have changed the initial decision (what ever that was), to Support Group without the need for F2F.

I can only suggest from this that the DMs are NOT following their own Guidebook policies which is outrageous. I had to remind the DM with a copy DMG Memo 7/14 as evidence that the laws in place have changed for the section that applies to sight loss.

Its a win here, however I know it will be short lived (3 years)...... will confirm length of award once letter arrives.

buzzing.... at the same time utter bastards!

Hello Ali,

That's fantastic news, I'm very happy for you both

Have you got a copy of the memo you mentioned? Also, did you ask on the phone about the award length?

Hi lyndz90, thank you

I spoke to CHDA who said the decision was made on 29th Nov. I totally forgot about award length, im hoping something will be written in the letter from DWP. We are waiting on this now. The DMG memo 7/14 was eventually obtained from RNIB, but i had to request it via email. It appears this particular memo is buried in the Internet never to be seen by the blind (excuse the pun). Best bet is to ask them for a copy and they will email it to you. It certainly changed our outcome...... Xx

Email response from CHDA

We have been able to provide advice to the DWP without the need for a face to face assessment on Mr Mxxxx’s referral.

The DWP should be in touch with you regarding the outcome.

B0)

Glad to hear of your happy outcome. Regarding the length of award - ESA has no end date, but a "prognosis date" when they expect to review again. However, a review at that time doesn't always happen and it can be extended (happened to mine). Also, they won't tell you the prognosis date in the letter, you'll need to ring and ask for that.

I think the document is linked on here, but you need a gov.uk account to access it: https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/fo...d=10&id=100930

Nice find! However as i mentioned it was buried deep in the internet underworld which is ironic considering it covers law changes to goverment policies for sensory impairment (BLIND and DEAF disabilities). X

You can find the 'Live' DMG memos here:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...os-staff-guide

However they do get taken down once they are incorporated into the main DMG, or if they get superseded.
    So 7/14 has long gone from that site.

If you make a FoI request they will provide a copy of the old memos that have been removed.
    In fact there have been a few requests on whatdotheyknow for a whole years DMG memos, unfortunately I can't find any for 2014.

A member there requested the 2015 and 2016 DMG memos and got full sets of both:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...emos_from_2015
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...emos_from_2016

EDIT
    I've just requested the full set of 2014 DMG memos, bookmark the following link and expect them to show up in about a month.
    They have until the 16th January to reply.
    If you register at whatdotheyknow then you can 'follow' this request and get an email alert when the DWP make a reply.
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/dmg_memos_2014
    Last edited by nukecad; 13-12-18 at 13:48.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

So if I understand right a DMG was sent to maximus, which possibly influenced their recommendation?

Maximus would not get the Decision Makers Guidance, or any of the memos.

DWP 'front line' staff would not get them either. (Unless they went looking just like we can).

Decision Makers will get them. Whether they read and remember them is another question.

Sometimes you need to give them a reminder by sticking one under their noses.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.