Thread: ESA Support Group to Working 20 hours a week. Advice needed!

globule

ESA Support Group to Working 20 hours a week. Advice needed!

Hi

I am on ESA in the support group for mental illness . I also get DLA (middle rate care, low rate mobility). I have recently sent in my annual medical questionnaire to ATOS. i sent this in last month. I have been on disability benefits for about 15 years.

With new medication from my doctor, I have been feeling relatively better. There was a job vacancy for 20 hours a week. Its a temporary job for 6 months. i was encouraged to apply and interview for the job (just to have the experience of doing that) and actually got the job a couple of days ago.

How will this affect my DLA. Also once I stop ESA, which i know I will have to, i would like to apply for working tax credits with a disability element. i have read up on this and am pretty sure I am entitled if I get DLA. But Im not sure if my job still qualifies me for DLA

i am worried about the loss of money as i was on ESA with a disability element. the CAB have just confused me and warned me how much money Id lose by working - this they said, in fairness, because they were making me think about what if the job didn't work out or I got ill again. At the moment Im planning not to get ill again but no guarantees. i just want to do something useful and interesting and not always feel like any work i do has to fall under the category of so called 'permitted work'.
    Last edited by globule; 16-08-12 at 23:24.

DLA can stay in payment when working as long as the work does not conflict with the DLA award. So, if the job involves a lot of standing and walking, that conflicts with the mobility award. It's best to tell DLA about the work.