Thread: ESA IR and CB Esa confusion...

ESA IR and CB Esa confusion...

Havingread some threads on here about migrating to UC from ESA support, I am a bit confused as to what will happen when it comes round to us.
    As I understand it, only IR ESA will have to transfer. My OH is on IR Esa support but I am on CB ESA.
    He also gets HB and Council tax relief but I don't claim for anything else. . He does claim for me(I found this out when dwp sent a a form out to me to see if I was one of those that they owed money Too)
    I think it's the disability premium. Will I have to give up my CB ESA in order to keep the other benefits he claims? I was told years ago that I couldn't claim which is why he claims them.

Anything Contribution Based stays outside of UC, anything Income Related will eventually be migrated.

I'm trying to remember/get my head around your full benefit situation.

The Disability Premium(s) will be your partners and are paid to him because he is in Support Group on IR ESA.
    I think you are also in Support Group yourself, but you won't get any disability premium(s) on your CB ESA.
    There are no premiums paid with CB ESA.
    (I'm not sure if a premium for you can be added to his IR ESA, especially as he already gets his own premium?)
    Your CB ESA should reduce the amount payable with his IR ESA.
    I believe you also both have PIP.

Anyway, putting all that aside:

Your CB ESA is yours and will stay outside of UC, it will continue to be paid fortnightly.

Your partners IR ESA will (eventually) migrate to Universal Credit, as will the Housing Benefit at the same time.
    This will be a couples joint claim for Universal Credit, paid at the couples rate plus a housing element. But -

Your CB ESA payment will be counted as 'Income' for UC purposes, and so will be deducted £ for £ from the joint UC claim.
    (So as a couple you'll have the same amount of money overall but different payments from different places).

As you are obviously not in a big savings position, and neither of you seems likely to be going to work, then you could close your CB ESA claim when you partner migrates to UC and just have the UC couples claim as one payment.
    But don't do that if you expect to be coming into any money, say a pension lump sum or an inheritance.

PIP stays outside of UC and will be paid as it is now.

Council Tax Relief will also stay outside of UC.
    That is administered by your council not the DWP, whether anything will change there depends on the councils rules.

I know that you also have a possible pension situation to add to the mix, but sorry I don't know about the implications of that.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.