Thread: No 'Credits Only' claims in UC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

No 'Credits Only' claims in UC?

I came across an interesting one today; but I'm not sure exactly what it means?
    The DWP are a bit economical with their statement as usual.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
    There is no concept of National Insurance credits only claims within Universal Credit.
    Does that mean there is something else in place to qualify you for your State Pension?
    Or that there is nothing in place and you may/will be short of NI contributions when it comes to pension time?

EDIT
    A bit more searching has found this FoI response from June 2017.

The DWP reply there says that you have to phone the claim line, or go to your JC+, and tell them that you want to claim NI credits because you are unemployed, but are not eligible for UC or New style JSA.
    They should then send/give you a special claim form, JSANC1, which you fill in and take to an interview at the Jobcentre.
    You will then have to attend the JC+ fortnightly to 'show' you are still eligible for NI credits.

Good luck trying to get a phone jockey or JC+ counter staff to understand that (or to have heard of it) and give you the correct form.

Another example of how UC will simplify things?
    Last edited by nukecad; 24-09-18 at 15:47.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Interesting thread on Moneysaving expert about trying to make an NI credits only claim in a full Universal Credit area here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com....php?t=5813461

The OP had great difficulty with this.

A long read but eventually the OP took on board the advice you have quoted.

Unfortunately the OP did not return to update the thread so no idea what happened!
    I try my best

I've found a bit more about this and it seems that I was wrong about having to 'sign on' fortnightly. (Maybe).

It appears that you would be what the DWP call internally a "Non-Claimant".

Non- claimants

Summary

105. A non-claimant is someone who, by choice, applies only for National Insurance credits. They may be customers who regardless of their entitlement do not wish to claim payment of Jobseeker’s Allowance or may have failed the habitual residency test (HRT) or not met the genuine prospect of work (GPoW) conditions.
    106. The term non-claimant must not be used when speaking to the public. The correct term to use is ‘applying for credits without claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance’.
    107. The rules for receiving National Insurance credits for a ‘non-claimant’, are broadly the same as for people claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance. The claimant must be:
    • available for work and
    • actively seeking work

Delivery of Jobcentre Plus services
    108. A non-claimant must still have an Initial Work Search Interview but it should be handled clerically.
    109. There is no requirement for a non-claimant to enter into a Claimant Commitment but you should explain the benefits of having one in place.
    {continues with some other conditions and procedures}

Their bolding, my highlighting in red.

"Handled clerically" means done on paperwork (Their computer systems aren't set up to handle it).

If you don't 'enter into' a Claimant Commitment then they can't sanction you for not complying with it.

You would still have to convince them that you are 'available for' and 'actively seeking' work - anything that may be possible within the limitations of your health conditions.

It's another case of the introduction of UC being badly thought through and only considering Jobseekers.
    Last edited by nukecad; 25-09-18 at 11:43.

Just a bit more about "NI Credits Only"

It's actually a strange situation with NI credits.

Most people (including most DWP staff) think they are part of a benefit and talk about "Credits only ESA", "Credits only JSA", "Credits only UC", etc.
    Because having one of these benefits automatically entitles you to NI credits.

But in reality they are seperate from any particular benefit. (There are NI credits that are not linked to any benefit claim at all).

They are actually covered by entirely different legislation - The Social Security (Credits) Regulations 1975.
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/..._300617_en.pdf