Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Motability Car - Do you still get £250 good condition bonus?

Buying Motability Car - Do you still get £250 good condition bonus?

As per title.

littlebib
    i dont know?

On the 'ask mo' section on the Motabilty site, under good condition bonus, it says you are eligible for the £250 bonus if you buy the car at the end of the lease.

littlebib
    Quote Originally Posted by Glover1862 View Post
    As per title.
    you can work out what to spend it on.

Quote Originally Posted by CTCELT88 View Post
    On the 'ask mo' section on the Motabilty site, under good condition bonus, it says you are eligible for the £250 bonus if you buy the car at the end of the lease.
    That's very interesting. My Motability lease car will be five years old in November.They said if it was returned in good condition I would be awarded £450. They say you can buy the old car off them and still get the bonus BUT are they expecting you to have ALSO taken out a new lease in order to qualify?.

As 'Mo' on the Motability website quotes

The bonus is generated automatically and a cheque will be sent approximately 14 days after the return of the car. All decisions are made at the discretion of Motability Operations and you will not be eligible if you have ended your agreement before the natural end of the lease.

Autoglass repairs, lease extensions and insurance claims do not affect eligibility for the bonus and you are still eligible if you purchase your car at the natural end of the lease.
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 17-07-12 at 22:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    That's very interesting. My Motability lease car will be five years old in November.They said if it was returned in good condition I would be awarded £450. They say you can buy the old car off them and still get the bonus BUT are they expecting you to have ALSO taken out a new lease in order to qualify?.

As 'Mo' on the Motability website quotes

The bonus is generated automatically and a cheque will be sent approximately 14 days after the return of the car. All decisions are made at the discretion of Motability Operations and you will not be eligible if you have ended your agreement before the natural end of the lease.

Autoglass repairs, lease extensions and insurance claims do not affect eligibility for the bonus and you are still eligible if you purchase your car at the natural end of the lease.
    Another thing I have just thought of, if you buy the car at the end of the agreement, how can they check the condition of the car? The car would be staying with you and not get returned to motability.

The plot thickens . . .

Just had a phone call from the franchise garage that services my motability car to ask if I could bring it in for an MOT. It seems at this stage a 'condition report' will be sent to Motability. So I guess that's the last time Motability will check the condition of the car if I want to buy it off them although there's 4 months to run!!

I phoned Motability - you get the 'good condition' bonus whatever you do but only if the car is up to scratch (forgive the pun!).

Normally the dealer supplying the replacement car does the check, I know this as a Volvo dealer was moaning that they only get paid for 15 minutes to check and do all the paper, which is why they don't look too hard. Also, I understand if you have made an insurance claim they you don’t get it, that could have changed.

If you think about it, to motability what difference does it make if the car is in good condition or not if you are buying it? sound like they probably add £250 to the price then hand it back to you! Only difference would be that you pull out of buying it and decide to order a new one, in which case it will be assessed by the new car supplying dealer.

If you are thinking of buying your motability car at the end of the lease then check out how much the car insurance will be.

As recommended by a forum member check out this company as they give no claims bonus
    https://www.fishinsurance.co.uk/disa...-insurance.php -

I was surprised to find it would only cost £495 per year. That included protecting your no claims bonus and if I remember AA breakdown cover too.

I've used a website to get a valuation on my car http://www.wewantanycar.com/

I think that the valuation wewantanycar.com given will be near to Motability's offer price as Motability is a not-for-profit organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    If you are thinking of buying your motability car at the end of the lease then check out how much the car insurance will be.

As recommended by a forum member check out this company as they give no claims bonus
    https://www.fishinsurance.co.uk/disa...-insurance.php -

I was surprised to find it would only cost £495 per year. That included protecting your no claims bonus and if I remember AA breakdown cover too.

I've used a website to get a valuation on my car http://www.wewantanycar.com/

I think that the valuation wewantanycar.com given will be near to Motability's offer price as Motability is a not-for-profit organisation.
    Cheers, thanks info for insurance is useful.

Internet car buying firms generally give a low valuation and I think Motability will be more as they give you 1 years warranty plus the good condition bonus. I've heard Motability charge top money for their cars as they will sell via the dealer network and even if you've been to an auction prices are really quite high, sometimes same as retail.

Yes, Motability may be a not for profit organisation but that does not mean it will sell every car at cost, overall the organisation does not concentrate on profit but it's staff and business costs need to be paid, hence it cannot do every transaction at cost. I hope I am wrong but I'm not excepting a bargain, I think just below retail, cap clean plus 5% is what I have heard they charge Motability customers, dealers will pay less than us.