Thread: Supascoota

Supascoota

Just got one of these, wondered if anyone else has one, and what they think of it.

Hi I have the spartan and this is my experience of the scooter and supplier I never seem to have much luck hopefully your scooter is fine. Remember this is my experience and possible the Supascooter is normally okay but as I said it maybe that I am just unlucky.
    Unfortunately I have had lots of problems with poor quality manufacturing and the company I bought it from are inept and full of excuses. When delivered the frame had not been sprayed properly and I could not pull the center hubs out to place the scooter in neutral. It turned out the company I bought if from had not changed the springs in the hub for lighter ones this was their first mistake. The engineer maintained the scooters are dipped so there could not be an area of frame which was not painted, I pointed out the frame is sprayed and I had to send photos of the frame because the engineer didn't believe me.

The company delivered a new replacement scooter I could not test it on delivery as it was raining and the scooters are NOT waterproof at all. When I did test the scooter it had a strange sound from the hubs I could not tell if it was gearbox or motors. I called the company and received lots of excuses and was told they would contact me to pick the scooter up. I was told to keep using the scooter but I didn't as I thought it would brake down. Nearly two months went by and not a word from them so I called them again more excuses. I am an experienced mechanic and have worked on disabled scooters and wheelchairs I suspected my scooter gears were not meshing properly because the motors were not aligned correctly. They picked the scooter up and left a loaner over a week later the scooter was returned the noise had gone no explanation as to what repairs had been made.

Throughout all this I had a scooter I could not use for weeks and months at a time not once did they appologise for the problems and inconvenience, bearing in mind the scooter cost £2450 you would expect a premium product and service . The problems don't stop there I was removing the scooter from my shed with the help of my wife. We lifted the front of the scooter and the front wheels fell out of the head tube the wheels are removable but you are meant to pull a lever to remove them which I didn't do. I tried several times to put the wheels back in but they would not lock in place this meant yet again the scooter was unusable and potentially dangerous. I called the supplier and again received excuses and he tried to blame me and said I was storing it in damp conditions. I sent an email and said I wanted a full refund as the product was unfit for purpose, within a few minutes I received a call from a senior staff member. No apologies again but was told scooter would be picked up. After a few days I received a call from the same senior staff member to arrange re-delivery I asked what the fault was and was told the locking ring had a bur on it and had been replaced. I have had two brand new scooters one with a spraying manufacturing fault and the replacement with two manufacturing faults and one was dangerous. The scooters are made in China and the quality control leaves a lot to be desired.

At the moment the scooter seems to be working fine but I have warned the supplier if there are any more problems I will contact my credit card company and take action. The spartan scooter is light when taken apart and can carry up to 32 stone I bought the spartan because I sometimes load fishing equipment on it and since I am 18 stone wanted a scooter that could cope.I have the lithium battery which weighs 4lbs really glad I bought this battery it makes a huge difference in weight. Also be aware the ignition seems to shut down after a while if you leave the scooter turned on and remain stationary, mine does anyway hopefully it's not another fault.

To be honest now the scooter is finally working I find it much easier to lift in and out of the car than other scooters I have had, it also copes with much steeper inclines than other scooters. I don't like the fact the scooter only has one accelerator trigger instead of duel ones like other scooters. It is also a pain in the rear to have to reach down and flip a switch for reverse and the higher speed of 4mph. The scooter does not have puncture proof tyres which I would prefer and hence needs the tyre pressure checked regularly.
    Last edited by gus; 08-09-18 at 10:56.

Quite a tale Gus, sounds like a bad dealer experience than all the scooters fault. any clue on the dealer without naming names? Or name names if you think its fair anyway.
    I bought mine second hand from a dealer, they sold it to a lady who rode it 3 times then went into a flat and could not use it any more......Admit it did look brand new, dont doubt the ridden about 3 times story, its that good.
    Paint finish on mine seems excellent, I thought they look like powder coated rather than sprayed. General engineering fit and finish seems good, no problems, and silent running apart from top speed ( 5.8MPH)
    Have had rear hubs off ( had a puncture) and these behaved well, so sounds like you are correct about wrong spring on yours. Not had front wheels off yet, but probably will in near future because I have bought some OKO off road puncture sealant and intend to puncture proof all 4 wheels.
    I slackened the handlebar mount ( 4 x Allen keys) and twisted it further back towards me, now I can see the battery gauge!
    Fitted front LED light from &day shop, also rear light yet to fit, and altough Supascoota do a handlebar end fitting foldable mirror, I got same mirror from Amazon for half the price (£8) Works great!
    I agree with you about the flip switch for forward and reverse, should be reachable for switching by thumb when hand on throttle grip. The lever actually pushes forward as well as pulls back, seems daft not to use forward position for reverse.
    Also note, no safety beeper for when reversing, not essential but is desireable.
    Back to battery gauge: It is so simple as to be almost useless...........no warning until you are at yellow light, meaning between 1.5 and 2 miles juice left...No good if you have gone 5 miles! Plus that is running a deepcycle battery way further down than I am happy with, drastically reduces battery life running it that low. So I have done 2 things: Got extra battery tray, bag and cable set, and another set of AGM 14AH...........Like idea of Lithium, but battery costs £300 and charger is £85....
    Instead of lithium I got the AGM, so at least I have 28AH to call on.
    Also got a battery gauge from a shoprider, the 8 bar type.....These seem to work well, also just a pos and a neg wire, so easy to connect.Probablu use dual adaptors on the F2 battery terminals
    The auto shut down if not operating is common, had it on every scooter I have had. Good safety feature.
    I am beyong lifting in and out of the car, and too heavy for my wife, so getting a hoist fitted with new motability car in February, probably a Skoda Karoq.
    First thing I did with the scooter was get a male to female 3 pin XLR cable, lots available but make sure you get one for studio lighting, NOT and audio one. Very different wiring and resistance. Much easir to plug in charger at handlebar level rather than beding down near floor.
    I also agree about te torque it has up hills Impressive! also the fact that it copes with rough terrain, gravel, and quite high kerbs etc, it does manage very well in these respects, and I have had no problems taking it round a nature reserve.
    All in all an 8 out of 10, but could stand improvement, which is what I intend to do!

PS Did you know yours would do over 4MPH?

Chris

Hi Chris the first scooter the frame showed orange peel finish which I don't think you would get if the frame is powder coated. Some dealers quote a top speed of more than 4mph but if I remember correctly the rep said it was an different model to mine which could reach 6mph.My scooter is quoted with a top speed of 4mph it could be that it is quicker but it doesn't feel it compared to my old 8mph one.

Most people would not even notice the whirring sound was a problem but the first scooter was much quieter, so I knew straight away something was wrong. Apparently my replacement scooter is the mk2 version the spartan was previously named rather poorly "SUMO" and already has a second battery tray as standard. The spartan and sport XL have longer wheelbases than the other four models the spartan also has a reinforced frame. I cannot lift the scooter into the car on my own but I am never alone so it is not a problem and we take it to pieces. The scooter normally lives in the car when it needs a charge I just remove the battery it is so light and is housed in a plane approved sealed box with a carry handle. I agree the lithium battery is expensive but I was struggling to lift the standard battery box on my old scooter so opted for the lighter battery.The lithium battery also gives 50% more distance than the standard SLA.

I do like the fact the ignition keys are individual to each scooter unlike other makes which have identical keys for every scooter. I added my scooter to our house insurance for at home and away from home at nearly £2.5k it would be difficult to replace.
    Yes the battery gauge is useless but I don't travel far about two miles at most at the moment. I note what you say about the reverse beeper the scooters don't even have a horn at all mine had a bicycle bell which I removed immediately. There is certainly room for improvement. I sometimes use mine for fishing and as you say they are pretty good over rough ground I removed the tip bar as it reduced ground clearance.

Hi Gus,

I wonder if the scooters are dipped for the paint finish?
    As for the top speed, you will have found that on the throttle lever there is a little extra pad or lug, I found out by accident that when travelling at what I thought was full speed IE: with the lever squeezed hard back to the throttle grip, if you then press downwards aiming at the floor with that little pad on the lever, its like a turbo boost coming in!
    Fitted second battery set today....and since found out that the rear tray is bigger than the second tray, in fact easily big enough for 18AH batteries.... so could have had a total of 32AH.........Ah well. I realised too that if I make up 2 small extension cables, I can connect the second set to the battery connector on the frame, so no need to physically swap the packs around.........Anything to make life easier!
    Found some adaptors to convert 1 male F2 terminal into two, so can run trial battery meter from battery direct...If its good, will get my sone to 3D print a proper housing for it.He was around today and gone away with details of some fittings to allow small oxy bottle to clip to back of basket on left hand side , be handy there, easy to reach the valve. Also printing clamp with arm for fitting rear light to vertical part of arm rests....
    Good mind to show the dealer these improvements when done, compare it to a stock item scooter.
    Good idea removing anti-tip wheels, I keep forgetting to do it.....