Thread: What Premiums may of been overlooked

What Premiums may of been overlooked

Firstly thanks for letting me join your website and contribute to the forums.
    I would appreciate any insight into what premiums may have been overlooked if any from 2011.
    Initially I was on IB long term and was migrated onto ESA in Nov 11 with the amount I received protected so I wasn't any worse off, and was put in the WRAG but on a mandatory reconsideration was changed to support group. I was also in receipt of DLA middle care, higher mobility. I had my forms filled in over the phone and received a letter asking for proof of my wife's employment and hours worked. My wife wasn't in employment in 2011 and wasn't in receipt of any benefits at all apart from CHB and CTC and only started employment in Sept 2012 working 24hrs.
    When I rang up all they say is they are looking to see if any premiums are payable, the problem I have is that there's that many different articles and websites saying you can get this and that but I have no idea whatsoever what may or not of been available at the time of transition. Any insight would be appreciated and hopefully i haven't confused the hell out of people reading and if I can add any more info just let me know. Thanks in advance

Hi Bowrim and welcome.I think like you many are confused about whats being said about the changeover from IB to ESA.
    One of the senior members(Nukeman) has been very very helpful and has worded it so we can all understand.
    From what he has said it is just a waiting game to see if you get a letter popping through your letter box.
    I for one is still confused and have decided to just wait it out and what will be will be.
    I hope you will be one of the lucky ones and get anything you are owed.

Quote Originally Posted by bowrim View Post
    Firstly thanks for letting me join your website and contribute to the forums.
    I would appreciate any insight into what premiums may have been overlooked if any from 2011.
    Initially I was on IB long term and was migrated onto ESA in Nov 11 with the amount I received protected so I wasn't any worse off, and was put in the WRAG but on a mandatory reconsideration was changed to support group. I was also in receipt of DLA middle care, higher mobility. I had my forms filled in over the phone and received a letter asking for proof of my wife's employment and hours worked. My wife wasn't in employment in 2011 and wasn't in receipt of any benefits at all apart from CHB and CTC and only started employment in Sept 2012 working 24hrs.
    When I rang up all they say is they are looking to see if any premiums are payable, the problem I have is that there's that many different articles and websites saying you can get this and that but I have no idea whatsoever what may or not of been available at the time of transition. Any insight would be appreciated and hopefully i haven't confused the hell out of people reading and if I can add any more info just let me know. Thanks in advance
    To be entitled to the premiums with ESA you must meet the criteria for income based ESA. Basically for income based ESA you must have savings (between you) of less than £16000 and your partner must not work 24 hrs or more.

So, in your case it is only possible for you to meet the criteria for income based ESA when your wife was not working. If you had savings less than £16K then you should have been assessed for income based ESA when you transferred from IB to ESA up until the time your wife started working 24 hrs a week. (Briefly this is what the current checking is all about - many people were not assessed for income based ESA on transfer from IB and now the DWP is trawling through all the cases to check if they are entitled to any back pay)

Now to the premiums. There are two possible premiums - the Enhanced Disability Premium and the Severe Disability Premium.

The Enhanced Disability Premium can be awarded with your income based ESA if you are in the support group of ESA (which you were) or if you receive the enhanced rate of PIP or high care DLA. So you had an entitlement to the EDP.

The Severe Disability premium can be awarded if you receive middle/high rate care of DLA or standard daily living PIP. But you must also be living alone (or treated as living alone - the other person must also received the qualifying rates of DLA/PIP) and no one receives Carer's Allowance for you. So, since you were living with your wife and presuming she did not receive the appropriate DLA/PIP) then you were not entitled to the SDP.

Looking at the 2011 rates for ESA you would have been entitled to (approximately as I haven't quoted the 2012 rates):

ESA couple rate = £105.95
    Support Component = £32.35
    Enhanced Disability Premium for couple = £20.25
    Total = £158.55

This is the amount you would have been entitled to if they had correctly assessed you for income based ESA on transfer from IB.

But you would have received a transitional protection at the time of transferring from IB irrespective of their not assessing you for income based ESA.

So, how much were you receiving on transfer from IB?

If this figure is less than the amount you should have received on income based ESA then you should get the difference backdated (eventually).

If you were paid more than this then there will be no back pay.

I hope Nukecad will check my figures and facts but remember the figures will be approximate because I have used 2011 amounts and not 2012.
    I try my best

pmlindyloo thank you for your information during the transition i would of been receiving under 110 per week if i recall correctly it would of been approx 108

I've not checked those figures but agree with Pmlindy.
    (From the figure you give it seems you may have only been getting the single person SG rate)

From what you have told us then provided you didn't have capital/savings of over £16k then you would/should have been entitled to the couples rates and the EDP from when you transfered in Nov 2011 until when your partner started work in Sept 2012.
    It should then have been reduced to the single persons rate CB ESA SG, which looks like what you were paid.

As we say there are thousands in a similar position, many with changing circumstances like partners starting/stopping work, and so there is a lot for the DWP to work out for each individual case.

It's no use trying to push them about this; there has been a special department set up just to deal with this error and they are working their way through it all.
    For now, until they finish their 'trawl' through their records of everyone transfered from IB then it's just a case of waiting until they contact you about it.

They are checking everybody who was transfered from IB to ESA, about 70,000 transfers so it going to take time.
    I'm not sure exactly where they are up to but it was reported at the end of July that 15,000 of those affected had been contacted, 10,000 had been processed, and 8,000 claims backpaid.
    Last edited by nukecad; 28-08-18 at 16:02.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.