Thread: Moving house

Question Moving house

What happens when you stay within your local housing authority but move house? I'm currently receiving enhanced rate daily living and standard mobility PIP and am in the support group of ESA. I know that in the last few months my area has changed to UC...when I move I'd start a claim for housing benefit (housing element???). What would this mean for my ESA and PIP?

Additionally I have also gained new diagnoses, however I've had the issues for a long time and only now in the last few months have they been validated. One of the diagnoses is anorexia nervosa. My old MH team (few years ago now) knew of my struggles with food but for some reason never followed up with any referrals to the ED team there. I only got referred this time after having a MH crisis at the start of the year and almost getting sectioned. I'm concerned that when I'm reassessed for ESA and PIP they won't take my anorexia seriously as it's only recently been diagnosed despite having suffered with it for many, many years, almost 2 decades in fact (as a child I was neglected a lot so people didn't seem to care about my weight or what I was eating/not eating so did nothing about it, also my ED has changed throughout those years, but in the last ten or so years it's been primarily anorexia nervosa restrictive subtype). During PIP I told my assessor that I struggle a lot mentally with eating and it makes me panic but she said it didn't matter, basically. I'm just really afraid they won't believe me. What should I do?

hi
    I am sorry that I don't have answers for all you write - although I don't think moving should have any affect on Pip at all so long as you give them your new address
    (not sure about the ESA in a UC area)

but I DO think they will take your ED seriously, so long as you can provide evidence, which you should be able to get if you now have official diagnosis

and I really just wanted to say I hope you get support with it - as I know something of what you write (although the opposite end of the spectrum!) and people so often just don't understand how much fear and anxiety can be built up around food

I know others on here will help you with the rest of your questions

Moving house within the same Local Authority should not migrate you to UC; if you already claim Housing Benefit from that LA then you can stay on it with just a change of address.

However reading your post it seems that you are not already claiming HB?
    Which means that the answer depends on a few other things.

Usually any claim for help with housing costs in that situation would be a brand new claim and would usually have to be for Universal Credit if you are in a Full Service area.
    Once you claimed UC then any other Income Related benefits would be migrated to UC as well.
    (IR ESA, IR JSA, HB, Working Tax Credits, Child Tax Credits, Income Support).

PIP and CB ESA would not be affected and would stay outside of UC.

So the main question is-
    Is your ESA Contribution Based, Income Related, or both CB with an IR top up?

Looking at your earlier posts I see that you already get the EDP and applied for SDP back in January.
    So at least part (maybe all) of your ESA is Income Related and would be migrated to UC. (Any CB ESA would still stay outside).

So can I now ask how you started on ESA?
    Where you a transfer from IB or a transfer from IS? If not then had you been working and have to give up working before you claimed ESA?
    That answer could tell us if part of your claim is Contribution Based.

And can I ask whether you did get the SDP awarded?

The Severe Disability Premium may be of particular importance, if you do get it and can put off moving for a while.
    There is legislation coming in Autumn which will mean those with SDP will still be able claim Housing Benefit instead of UC, even in Full Service UC areas.
    But it is not in force (not law) yet.
    (There are reports that some councils are sometimes allowing this now even though it is not yet law, but that seems chancy and not 'official').
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    hi
    I am sorry that I don't have answers for all you write - although I don't think moving should have any affect on Pip at all so long as you give them your new address
    (not sure about the ESA in a UC area)

but I DO think they will take your ED seriously, so long as you can provide evidence, which you should be able to get if you now have official diagnosis

and I really just wanted to say I hope you get support with it - as I know something of what you write (although the opposite end of the spectrum!) and people so often just don't understand how much fear and anxiety can be built up around food

I know others on here will help you with the rest of your questions
    Thank you, walker. I guess I just worry about it as I'm so used to people sweeping my issues under the rug even when I'm vocal about it. Ironically, the ED service recently discharged me because of disengagement, which is ridiculous considering they also said I'm a high risk patient in terms of my ED and its affects on my body (my heart is messed up either due to my AN or my physical disability) and also on my mind, and due to the complexity of my history/medical issues! Think they got fed up with me. Of course if you leave something untreated there is gonna be fall out...and it's not gonna go away over night!

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Moving house within the same Local Authority should not migrate you to UC; if you already claim Housing Benefit from that LA then you can stay on it with just a change of address.

However reading your post it seems that you are not already claiming HB?
    Which means that the answer depends on a few other things.

Usually any claim for help with housing costs in that situation would be a brand new claim and would usually have to be for Universal Credit if you are in a Full Service area.
    Once you claimed UC then any other Income Related benefits would be migrated to UC as well.
    (IR ESA, IR JSA, HB, Working Tax Credits, Child Tax Credits, Income Support).

PIP and CB ESA would not be affected and would stay outside of UC.

So the main question is-
    Is your ESA Contribution Based, Income Related, or both CB with an IR top up?

Looking at your earlier posts I see that you already get the EDP and applied for SDP back in January.
    So at least part (maybe all) of your ESA is Income Related and would be migrated to UC. (Any CB ESA would still stay outside).

So can I now ask how you started on ESA?
    Where you a transfer from IB or a transfer from IS? If not then had you been working and have to give up working before you claimed ESA?
    That answer could tell us if part of your claim is Contribution Based.

And can I ask whether you did get the SDP awarded?

The Severe Disability Premium may be of particular importance, if you do get it and can put off moving for a while.
    There is legislation coming in Autumn which will mean those with SDP will still be able claim Housing Benefit instead of UC, even in Full Service UC areas.
    But it is not in force (not law) yet.
    (There are reports that some councils are sometimes allowing this now even though it is not yet law, but that seems chancy and not 'official').
    I currently live with my parents, but due to MH issues I can no longer tolerate living here or I'll probably end up killing myself, hence being under the home treatment team repeatedly and almost being put on section 3 last week. Sorry for being so blank with it, but that's basically why I'm moving. I also can't tackle my CPTSD (well, it for some reason got renamed enduring personality change following catastrophic experience, but I've been told they're synonymous in the ICD11?). This is because whilst I live here my dad lives here as well and he is one of the main reasons I have so many issues in the first place. Not that social services care, apparently there are no safe guarding issues at all! Left me fuming. Also said I have minimal care needs even though I get enhanced daily living on PIP! Let me down in adulthood and childhood, it's ridiculous.

Essentially I don't get HB at the moment.

I think I'm income related, I didn't work before and I wasn't on IB/IS either. I still haven't applied for SDP, as I don't think I'd be awarded it? My parents aren't on eligible benefits and neither of them are registered blind.

Do you know what sort of time in Autumn the new legislation will come out?

Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by gone; 28-08-18 at 18:22.

Sorrry it's all a bit in the air at the moment with the legislation

The government put out their draft legislation, but being sensible for once asked welfare organisations to respond/comment.
    And they have now got a lot of comments.

So the gov. need to push this law through, but if they do they will have to change it later.

Sorry for not commenting on your other issues, I try and keep to advice to the rules/legal stuff.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Sorrry it's all a bit in the air at the moment with the legislation

The government put out their draft legislation, but being sensible for once asked welfare organisations to respond/comment.
    And they have now got a lot of comments.

So the gov. need to push this law through, but if they do they will have to change it later.

Sorry for not commenting on your other issues, I try and keep to advice to the rules/legal stuff.
    That's fine! Thank you for the information. Hope you're doing well.

Since you do not receive the severe disability premium at the moment (I agree that because you are living with your parents then you are not entitled to it) then the move to Universal Credit will be as Nukecad outlined. You would have to claim UC because this would be your first claim for housing costs. The SDP new legislation would not affect you because you do not have a current claim for it.

I am wondering if you have actually planned you move yet. Do you plan to move to privately rented accommodation? Have you found somewhere yet? Is anyone helping you with this?

The reason I am asking is because if you did not move to a Universal Credit area then you could claim housing benefit and not UC. You would also be eligible for the SDP as you would be living on your own.

Have you considered moving to an area where UC is not in place? Is this possible?

Has you considered Supported Accommodation? If you lived in Supported accommodation then this remains outside of Universal Credit and you would claim HB for it even if you were in a Universal Credit area.

I would need to investigate if you can receive the SDP if living in supported accommodation.

Have you got a social worked or someone who could help you look for suitable accommodation?
    I try my best

Have checked and you can receive the severe disability premium if you are living in supported accommodation so this may be an option to explore if this is something you would consider.
    I try my best