Thread: Esa we need to look at your claim letter

Esa we need to look at your claim letter

Hello all! new to here, but have been reading the site for a while So here goes.

So I'm on ESA in the Support Group, Contribution based, £110.75 a week

paid into a Post Office account yes I kept it open?I transferred from Incapacity Benefit in 2012

So this letter arrived saying we need to look at your claim you might be

eligible to Income Related ESA. If you are eligible you might Get extra

payments these are called premiums!

So I rang them and they are sending an application form out!

Q. If I don't send this back what will happen ?

Q. If I do and then found eligible for income related benefit will this trigger

a future move to Universal Credit from Contributions related ESA ?

Q. Currently my Housing Benefit / Local Housing Allowance, is paid to the

Housing Association direct from the council, am I right in thinking under

contribution based ESA Support Group this will continue if I'm not moved
    Universal Credit ?

Once again hello, and I'm looking forward to chatting with you all, I have found the site very helpful, it's definitely made me more aware so thanks!!!?

Hi timelord,

As you probably know if you have been reading the forum, lots of people are getting these letters now.

It's all because the DWP made a huge mistake when transfering people from IB to ESA.
    They didn't consider if they should have paid people both CB ESA and IR ESA, and so have been underpaying thousands of people for years.
    They now have to sort this out and pay the money if you are owed it.

From the amount you are currently getting (£110.75) they are/have been only paying you CB ESA, and so they need to check if they have been under-paying you by not adding IR ESA to it since you moved from IB.

To your particular questions:

If you don't send the form back then they should contact you again to check why.
    Why wouldn't you send it back? The could owe you a lot of money for the error that they made, money they should have been paying you all along.
    It could also mean you get at least another £16.40 every week.

If you get the IR ESA added to your CB ESA then it won't mean a change to UC yet.
    The IR part will eventually be migrated to UC, BUT the CB ESA will stay outside of UC - CB ESA is nothing to do with UC, UC is only ever Income Related.
    If you are entitled to CB ESA then they can't just 'change' it to Income Related, the law says they can't.
    So you would still have CB ESA paid fortnightly, plus UC paid monthly.

Housing benefit will be migrated to UC, it doesn't matter what basis/group your ESA or anything else is.
    At the moment UC pays the housing money to you and you have to pass it on to the Housing Association. (They want people to be responsible for their own money).
    But the Housing Association can apply to have the UC housing element paid directly to them, just like the Housing Benefit is.
    They are supposed to be making this easier and may even pay all housing associations directly, it's an ongoing and changing situation.

So all in all nothing bad is going to come from that letter, and you could end up better off each week plus have a big backpayment comming.

The Housing Benefit changing to UC is going to happen anyway, it's nothing to do with this letter.
    Even those who only have Housing Benefit (no ESA or anything else) will have it migrated to UC in the coming years.
    Last edited by nukecad; 14-08-18 at 16:14.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi Nukecad, thank you for taking the time to reply!

Be interesting to see how the older generation will cope with the Universal Credit system and Housing Benefit, I know many that have never touched a computer, hopefully they see sense and manage their payments!

Well for myself i guess it's better the devil you know than the one you don't, but I will send the form back see what comes of it, just been through the work capability test again and that was done quick and since then I was reading the manual for training the health assessors that will be my next thread!

Oh my Post Office account probably won't be acceptable for the enhancement payments unsure on that one unless it's put together but i think the contract is until 2021 for those accounts!

Anyway nice to finally chat with you! You're an asset for this forum and I'm glad to be on-board!

The DWP don't like Post Office Card accounts and will do all they can to push you into opening a bank acount instead.

They even go so far as to gloss over PO Card accounts in staff training, so many jobcentre staff actually think/believe that benefits can only be paid to be a bank account nowadays.

Benefits can be Paid into a PO Card account, at least until 2021 and maybe longer.
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
    Benefits can even be paid by a Paypoint 'cashcard' for those who have no account at all.

They give all kinds of reasons why a bank account is better for you as a claimant, but-
    The real reason is quite simple, it costs them more to send money to a PO account (I think it's 50p a time?), it costs nothing (or pennies) to send it to a bank account.
    I don't know how much the Paypoint 'cashcard' costs but expect that it will be more.

PS. The PO also do 2 bank accounts these days. https://www.postoffice.co.uk/current-accounts
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi Nukecad, that is spot on!!

No the DWP don't like Post Office Card accounts even though they put them as an option from payment books around 2008 i think!
    They sent out to me from 2016, 2017, every few months!

Example of the last letter!

PLEASE CHANGE THE ACCOUNT WE PAY YOUR MONEY INTO CALL US OR FILL OUT THE FORM TO SAY WHERE WE SHOULD SEND FUTURE PAYMENTS

Stop shouting

Anyway the law stated the Secretary of state has no right to ask anyone to change how they get their payments or demand for them to close the accounts. So after being bombarded with these letters from day one, the wording ( We would Like you ) it didn't say I had to and it was mandatory or compulsory.

Anyway basically it costs £0.01p to send the payment to a bank and £0.50p to send the payment to a Post Office card account that they have as an option way back when! I have a stack of the UK Government letters all worded slightly different. In the end I rang only to be told you can keep it open if you want nobody is forcing you to change or close it, this is so people are aware of banking/ payment options available!

Today you can access most banking needs via a Post Office and services depending on the accounts you have!

Why because banks are closing at a faster rate than local Post Offices!

Hope that helps anyone with one now!

Have a good one people!
    Last edited by TimeLord; 16-08-18 at 10:32.

Right i would advise anyone filling out the 45 pages form to copy important information you have put in it, and take a note of where it's being sent and information on the front of it numbers etc. Or scan whatever you write in it.

So quick update on this i sent back the form received back a couple of documents that I attached to the form a few day's ago today a big Belfast letter arrived with my form ???? I missed one Question if i had been in a nursing home since 2012. Ticked No and returned it surely they could've just phoned ? on it came with instructions and sign it and return form.

I advice you take your time because I checked it at least twice, what a carry on!
    Last edited by TimeLord; 31-08-18 at 13:30.