Thread: Partner's status if I claim ESA

Partner's status if I claim ESA

I'd be very grateful for any advice on what might happen to my partner's status when/if my Benefits status changes. At present, I claim IS, DLA and Carer's Allowance, and the IS includes my partner who, although more seriously affected by his health problems than I am, does not want to go through any DWP assessment procedure as he finds they cause his mental state to deteriorate severely. The CA is for our daughter, who has autism. I have been given a date for an ESA Medical, and am assuming I will be deemed fit for all work (I have been left alone by the DWP for 5 years), so what then will happen to my partner? I know he could not cope with being assessed himself, and I know it's not likely I will manage to find a job when I have PTSD and am on the Autism spectrum, and few employers would take me on in my present state. Do partners/spouses have to make separate claims? And I thought I might not have to undergo a medical because I have a disabled primary school age child?

Many thanks for any help.

I expect you have been left alone due to your childs age.
    You don't say you have been claiming IB or if you have filled in a ESA50 form so I'm a little puzzled why you have been given a date for a medical. Given that, they somewhere have assumed you may possibly be eligible for ESA, if you are they may place you in wrag, if not you may be able to claim JSA.
    I'm not sure what you mean about your partners status, any claims you make will be as a couple.
    Given the complexity of your situation I think CAB or similar are your best option.

Many thanks, Wobble1. I filled in a ESA form some weeks ago, so was anticipating a medical. I will contact the CAB or another advice agency for further help.

Quote Originally Posted by Easthamgirl View Post
    Many thanks, Wobble1. I filled in a ESA form some weeks ago, so was anticipating a medical. I will contact the CAB or another advice agency for further help.
    Do not worry if the ICB or ESA stops. You can still claim income support as a carer while you get carers allowance and you will not have to start looking for work.

Many thanks, Duncan. I find it all confusing. Local CAB strapped for cash and not offering much face-to-face support, so I'm depending on online help.

I think you need to wait and see what the outcome of your ESA claim comes back before you can anticipate the future.