Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: strange letter from ESA about IR eligibility

that would be brilliant as i could then help both my children out with events in their lives

enjoy the beer
    expect it might not be quite as hot there as it is down here in the south
    we are melting!!

Just a quickie:
    ..whereas HB counts £1 in every £250 - the UC counts £4.35
    That's £1 reduction per week with HB, but £4.35 per assessment period (month) with UC. - So it's not that different.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

how interesting! lots of sites I have been on mention it as a crazy difference - so I assume they did no know that either
    and I think maybe that could be part of the issue - although my figures still don't seem to add up

when I used turn2us calculator the difference was way smaller -

am having MAJOR issues with laptop 'cant access' pages or they are not loading so may disappear

(ok according to turn2us I would be £42.50 ish worse off/week on UC)
    not great
    and completely different to the answer I got with the same info - last week

I can feel the control on my sanity slipping again so I am going for a bit
    Last edited by walker; 07-07-18 at 08:13.

Since you are on contribution based ESA and in the support group then your ESA will remain outside of Universal Credit.

However, if you are entitled to housing costs (housing benefit) and an income based 'top up' to your contribution based ESA then this will mean a transfer to Universal Credit. You would get your contribution based ESA as a separate payment, be assessed for UC and the contribution based ESA would be classed as income in the UC calculations.

If you are not entitled to an income based 'top up' to your contribution based ESA then you will not be migrated to UC and things will remain the same as they are now.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/ch...iversal_Credit

So, we need to try and work out whether you are entitled to an income based 'top up' to your contribution based ESA.

To do this we need to know your circumstances from your date of transfer from IB to ESA (2012)

The EDP would be payable to you because you are in the support group so presumably since 2012.

The SDP would be payable to you if you were receiving mid rate/high rate care DLA or standard rate care PIP (which you were/are) BUT also you must have been living alone (unless the other people living with you were also receiving these rates of DLA/PIP) and no one received/is receiving Carer's Allowance for you.

Also to receive these premiums you must meet the criteria for income related ESA - so no other income (from partner for example), no savings of household (you and partner) over £16000.

As you know if you had savings between £6K and £16K these are treated as tariff income and deducted at the rate of £1 for every £250 per week.

I know you have savings so they will affect your eligibility even if entitled to EDP and SDP.

Phew! Hope I've covered everything.

So, to check your eligibility we need to know your circumstances from 2012 (date of transfer from IB to ESA)
    If you could do each year with who you lived with, whether they were receiving DLA/PP (and rates), whether they were receiving Carer's Allowance for you, whether they had any income/savings of their own, and, finally, your savings. Savings can be at the April of each year.

I hope this helps explains it all. (And I hope other members will correct me if I've missed anything or got anything wrong!)

If we find a year that you had entitlement to contribution based ESA with an income based 'top up' then you will hopefully know what year you would be entitled to back pay.
    I try my best

thank you for your response pmlindyloo

I am afraid I cannot put more details on here than already have,
    I know I am not entitled from 2012 as was still with hub

I am somewhat concerned that you are saying IR ESA would put me onto UC
    since Nukecad said it wouldn't

I already get Housing benefit
    and I know I would be eligible for IR from summer 2014

to be honest
    by they time we have sorted all this out I will probably lose my disability benefits altogether so none of this will matter
    I very much doubt they will keep me in support group whenever esa is reviewed as they have changed all the boundaries

must of the info you ask for is elsewhere in this thread - but please don't feel obliged to wade through it all
    I really do appreciate the kindness/time of anyone who replies

I think we are getting a bit bogged down with Universal Credit here. (Isn't everyone).

Just to clarify things a bit:
    • CB ESA stays outside of UC whatever else happens, and will continue to be paid seperately.
    • IR ESA, or an IR top-up to CB ESA, will eventually be 'Managed Migrated' to UC sometime between July 2019 and 2023, but not yet.
      So some will end up with CB ESA and a UC top-up being paid at the same time. (CB ESA fortnightly, UC monthly).
    • A change of circumstance now which means you have to make a brand new claim for an IR benefit in a Full Service UC area will 'Naturally Migrate' your other IR benefits to UC.

In this case (and other similar cases) the claiming of an IR top-up to a CB ESA claim by means of an ESA3 is not a change that needs a brand new claim to be made, it's an addition to an existing claim, so it will not trigger Natural Migration to UC.

I'm off to watch the match, may be back later.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-07-18 at 14:43.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Nuke is usually right with his advice so you could try and claim since circumstances changed goodluck with it all

thank you freedomeagle
    and I do hope your claim is going ahead successfully

Quote Originally Posted by freedomeagle View Post
    Nuke is usually right with his advice so you could try and claim since circumstances changed goodluck with it all
    I agree that you should go with Nukecad's advice and complete an ESA3 and ask for backdating for when you believe you were entitled to any disability premiums.

I am not a Universal Credit expert and there is certainly a lot of conflicting information on the internet.

In your case you have several points in your favour for being able to stay on your contribution based ESA with an income based 'top up':

1. If they backdate your disability premiums it would mean that you had an entitlement to income based ESA on your original claim and there fore would not have to transfer to UC,
    2. Because of new government statements those on ESA with entitlement to the SDP will not be moved to UC until managed migration takes place and your money would have transitional protection. (Although I am unsure when this will happen)
    3, If you were moved to UC then the SDP would continue to be part of your UC assessment (again because of new government statement but no news on when this would happen - hopefully soon.)

The benefit calculators do not take into account the new government statements about the SDP which is why they are giving you a 'loss'.

I know this is very stressful but take one step at a time and 'go with the flow'. The worse that can happen is that you will be no worse off than you are now and the best that can happen is that you get backdated money and/or an increase.

And one last thing! Are you are definitely in a full service Universal Credit area?
    I try my best

yes I am definitely in a full service area - as of 6th june

I didn't have an entitlement to IR when I switched from IB to ESA, but became eligible later

(funny I have a complete horror of acronyms, but I seem to be getting rather good at the benefit ones!!!!)

the worse that could happen is a lot of things inside my paranoid head, but Nukecad and you and others are doing you very best to reassure me

I just have this feeling that I will sort all this ( IF I sort all this ) - then they will turn round and stop all of it
    and because my head is always telling me stuff (not voices as such) it makes me believe I should not have anything and am just a bad person

ugh
    it is too hot for all this