Thread: Esa support group to universal credit?

Esa support group to universal credit?

Hi Everyone

I am a carer for someone who has been in the ESA Support Group for years. His disabilities are never going to get any better, in fact they get worse and will continue to get worse as time goes on.

Today, he received a letter from the Health Assessment Advisory Service informing him that his questionnaire they sent on 8th May had not been returned and that if it was not returned by 8th June his benefit would be stopped !!! He has received NOTHING, no questionnaire, nothing at all. This is the first thing he has received. He spoke to a woman in a call centre in Wales and asked what this was about. She said it looked as though it was universal credit and said she would send him another form. She said he was to fill in on the questionnaire that he had not received any questionnaire previously and said she would put a note on his case that he had received nothing in the post.

Neither he, nor I, not the woman in the Bridgend could really work out what was going on.

He has not made any fresh claim for any new benefits. We don't understand what is going on and no one at the call centre seems to know or was not forthcoming with any information as to what this questionnaire is about.

Can they just take him out of the ESA Support Group and move him to Universal Credit?

Thanks for any information, help or advice

Update on this .... I spoke to the Health Assessment Advisory Service as they are open until 8pm. I was told that is not Universal Credit as he is not living in UC rolled out area but its his Support Group ESA which the questionnaire is about .... here goes for a mamoth filling in session !!!

It sounds like there has been some mix up with the original ESA50 questionaire not arriving or being lost.

Even though he is in Support Group they will reassess his claim every now and again.
    It is not a new claim, just a reassessment that everyone on ESA has to have every few years, just how many years varies from person to person.

They do send a reminder letter after 3 weeks which is what he seems to have finally received, so luckily it's been picked up that the original one never arrived.

They should send out a new questionaire and give an extension for sending it back, but you may want to ring them again and make sure that an extension has been granted.

When the form does come then you should get it completed and sent back as soon as possible.

You can get a head start on this.
    You can download a form from here and fill it in rather then waiting for one to turn up in the post.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-questionnaire

You can fill this in on a computer, print it off and send it back instead of the one that they send you.
    (I did this with one I sent a few months back, just filled this onein, printed it off and sent it back in the envelope they sent).
    Or you can print it off and fill it in with a pen.
    Or you can just use it to practice, and then copy the answers into the one they send.

And no they can't just take him of ESA and move him to UC.

But if they don't get the completed form back in time they could stop paying ESA, and then you/he would have a fight getting it reinstated.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks so much for your reply. He went into a mass panic but yes I will be calling tomorrow to ensure that an extension is being given. He's worried too because his next payment is a week on Wednesday but I will ask about that too.

Thanks again

I think that I would also fire off an email to your regional DWP complaints team, bear with me I'll explain why below.

Complain that the original ESA50 didn't arrive, and that the first you/he knew was when the reminder letter turned up.
    Say that you have contacted CHDA, who have said they will send a new form and will give you extra time to send it back.
    Complain that they said they would stop paying ESA.

Just having looked at the reminder letter I got a couple of months ago I suggest the following wording:
    You might have to change the your/my/I/me depending if he sends it or you send it on his behalf.

{email header}- Formal Complaint.

{email text}-
    Re: Letter from Health Assessment Advisory Service

{Your Name and address.}
    {Your Date of birth.}
    {Your NI Number.}

Dear DWP,

I am sending this to complain about your ESA assessment provider CHDA.

On {date} I received a letter stating that I had until {date} to return an ESA reassessment questionaire which they had sent to me or my ESA benefit could be affected.

I was worried because I had never received a questionaire.

I phoned them and they said that they would send me another questionaire, and give me extra time to send it back.

How are they allowed to stop my benefit payments for something that I didn't know about?

Regards

{Your Name}
    {Your email address}
    I'll be honest it's a meaningless complaint, but you are not doing this to make a complaint and their answer won't matter.

You are doing it to get a written, and dated, record of what has happened.

If you get this off before the original, missing, ESA50 was due back then it will be harder for them to later argue that you/he didn't respond in time.
    You will be able to show, by the dated email, that you did respond before the original deadline.

You probably won't need this, but better to have it and not need it than the other way round.
    In circumstances like these it's always best to cover your back.

You can find your DWP regional complaints teams email address in this thread:
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...plaint-address
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you so much .. onto that now

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I think that I would also fire off an email to your regional DWP complaints team, bear with me I'll explain why below.

Complain that the original ESA50 didn't arrive, and that the first you/he knew was when the reminder letter turned up.
    Say that you have contacted CHDA, who have said they will send a new form and will give you extra time to send it back.
    Complain that they said they would stop paying ESA.

Just having looked at the reminder letter I got a couple of months ago I suggest the following wording:
    You might have to change the your/my/I/me depending if he sends it or you send it on his behalf.

I'll be honest it's a meaningless complaint, but you are not doing this to make a complaint and their answer won't matter.

You are doing it to get a written, and dated, record of what has happened.

If you get this off before the original, missing, ESA50 was due back then it will be harder for them to later argue that you/he didn't respond in time.
    You will be able to show, by the dated email, that you did respond before the original deadline.

You probably won't need this, but better to have it and not need it than the other way round.
    In circumstances like these it's always best to cover your back.

You can find your DWP regional complaints teams email address in this thread:
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...plaint-address
    very good idea/answer