Thread: Watersure plus changes

Watersure plus changes

Hi all,

Just received a letter from water supply company regarding water sure application, the criteria for receipt of this discount has now changed and is no longer specifically for low income households or people in receipt of disability benefits.

Eligibility for this discount now is for people with very specific conditions that mean they need to use extra water, and requires proof of such condition, or are responsible for 3 or more dependent children and in receipt of child benefit.

Why are we being asked to disclose confidential medical information to a business whose sole purpose is the supply of a utility and has nothing to do with healthcare or medicine.

Why have they excluded low income households without specific needs from applying for this discount, (obviously it was beginning to impact their profits)

Its all getting a bit nasty again!

I am on the priority customer list for all the utilities companies I use and obviously have to give reasons as to why I should be on that list. I have no problems disclosing my conditions and I fully expect to to gain the benefit by doing so.
    I am happy to disclose my condition and the benefits I am on to shop staff when reclaiming VAT on certain allowable items.
    I am happy to disclose my condition and how it affects me to sub-contracted staff when asking for hospital transport.
    I am sure I can think of many more examples, but these will do to get the point across. It is not sacrosanct, it is just fact. We have a condition..if we wish it to be taken into account by way of discount or favourable treatment then we have to give some detail. I see no wrong in that. Even if it means discusing it with non healthcare staff.....
    Perhaps the water supply company you are speaking of was little too easygoing before? Was it just a tick box to claim watersure before this change? If so I imagine it was abused to such an extent that it became unsustainable.
    Having looked thtough this site : https://www.ccwater.org.uk/ I can find no mention of recent changes.
    Last edited by stree; 12-04-18 at 12:38.

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    I am on the priority customer list for all the utilities companies I use and obviously have to give reasons as to why I should be on that list. I have no problems disclosing my conditions and I fully expect to to gain the benefit by doing so.
    I am happy to disclose my condition and the benefits I am on to shop staff when reclaiming VAT on certain allowable items.
    I am happy to disclose my condition and how it affects me to sub-contracted staff when asking for hospital transport.
    I am sure I can think of many more examples, but these will do to get the point across. It is not sacrosanct, it is just fact. We have a condition..if we wish it to be taken into account by way of discount or favourable treatment then we have to give some detail. I see no wrong in that. Even if it means discusing it with non healthcare staff.....
    Perhaps the water supply company you are speaking of was little too easygoing before? Was it just a tick box to claim watersure before this change? If so I imagine it was abused to such an extent that it became unsustainable.
    Having looked thtough this site : https://www.ccwater.org.uk/ I can find no mention of recent changes.

Watersure is just a discount, it doesn't come with any priority.

Buying Disablilty aids without paying full VAT only requires a simple statement without proof, and does not require proof of how your condition affects you.

Hospital transport service staff are bound by confidentiality clauses written into their contract of employment, and are not profit making services obtained and used by all, unless anyone knows how to obtain water without paying a utility company.

Previous application for Watersure was based on qualifying for DLA/PIP or being in a low income households and required no further proof.

If you've already proved to DWP that you are disabled and have a diagnosis, ticking a box and stating the name is of your condition should be sufficient.

Btw this scheme was specifically for low income households, not specifically those with particular disabilities, originally a customer could qualify for the water sure plus scheme if their water bill was more than a specific amount of their household income and had nothing to do with water usage, or why they were in a low income household, this could include people who were in receipt of jobseekers allowance or people who were on low pay.

As far as I have found there has been no change to the scheme, does anyone have an example of one of the applications, or a link?
    As far as the disclosure of personal information to a utility company, specifically for watersure, it covers those with a need for additional water brought about by a medical condition which seems sensible.
    I looked at the Anglian website, my supplier and see no mention of medical qualification requirement, more to do with benefits that are means tested.
    This is a cut and paste.

Do you, or anyone in your household, receive any of these benefits or tax credits?

Income support
    Income-based job seeker's allowance
    Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Universal Credit
    Housing benefit
    Pension credit
    Working tax credit
    Child tax credit (other than just the family element)

From what I see here, the scheme still IS specifically for low income households..............

Sussed em!

i sussed em out!

There are 2 schemes, Watersure and Watersure plus, Watersure is for customers who have a water meter, and use extra water because of a health condition, I've never had a water meter I live in a large block of flats so they can't put one in. Watersure plus is for those on certain means tested benefits, I've realised that my letter today includes both applications, one for Watersure (metered customers) and one for Watersure plus customers, including the declaration that must be signed by both.

By including the declaration on the health related part it's misleading, I think it could put customers off making an application for Watersure plus. People might rule themselves out if they don't have a meter or very specific health conditions that increases water usage.

I thought we were at cross purpose! We were both right,,,,,,,This is what Anglian water offer:

WaterSure keeps your payments the same no matter how much water you use. This tariff has a fixed, higher annual standing charge and no charge for the volume of water used.

AquaCare Plus makes your water bill vary less when you use more, because most of your bill is made up of the fixed standing charge

Or there's our LITE tariff designed designed to support people with low disposable income who may be struggling to afford their water bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Archersmate View Post
    Hi all,

Just received a letter from water supply company regarding water sure application, the criteria for receipt of this discount has now changed and is no longer specifically for low income households or people in receipt of disability benefits.

Eligibility for this discount now is for people with very specific conditions that mean they need to use extra water, and requires proof of such condition, or are responsible for 3 or more dependent children and in receipt of child benefit.

Why are we being asked to disclose confidential medical information to a business whose sole purpose is the supply of a utility and has nothing to do with healthcare or medicine.

Why have they excluded low income households without specific needs from applying for this discount, (obviously it was beginning to impact their profits)

Its all getting a bit nasty again!

We were eligible for Watersure and it is for those who have a high medical need to use more water than "normals". For us that is a dialysis machine, which uses a helluva lot and it runs its own random checks even when its off! But you needed a letter from the hospital (OK) But also if you were getting help from the health authority then you are not eligible. We are with Severn Trent water.

I'm with stree - we are priority register for water and leccy cuz of home dialysis machine. Happy to disclose info if it saves money!

BTW Archersmate, we were told there is a charity Severn Trent Trust which helps with those in DIRE financial need - we didn't qhalify, they are talking "can't pay the bill and about to be cut off" type of need.